Is this Plautilla Denarius genuine?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Genuine?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I´m no expert, but this somehow looks wrong to me. I would not bother if it was just cleaned, but the surfaces just seem to be too even ...

So before take a risk, may I ask you what you think of it before I order it?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-25 um 17.49.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-25 um 17.49.28.png

Theodosius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I am far, far from being an expert. But I like it (by which I mean I think it genuine). I like the ragged planchet. I like the flow-lines in the obverse legend. Again, not an expert - going on first impressions and a hunch. But I like it!

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

looks fine to me

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Looks fine to me, as well. Can't say I've ever seen a fake with a ragged flan like that. Maybe they exist, but I haven't seen one in my (admittedly limited) experience.

7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

You will have trouble when trying to sell a coin with a pimple on the cheek and a spongy surface on the reverse upper field. Prospective buyers will be worried it is cast.

Julius Germanicus and Svarog like this.
  8. GoodLife Auctions

GoodLife Auctions New Member

Looks good to me. I have seen similar with a ragged flan and about the same worn details and wear on the edges. The uniform gray color is more of what I don't like. Maybe it's just the lighting.

9. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

From top to bottom the focal plane is not quite parallel to the surfaces, so you have fine detail at top and a fuzzy "smoothness" at bottom. Looking past that, and any issues with color, the coin looks perfectly fine to me. The reverse is particularly nice.

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Maybe this Denarius of the same Empress would help compare. Cohen 16

Plautilla O       Ric IVi-367.jpg PlautillaCohen 16scarce.jpg

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I find nothing wrong with the OP coin.

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me.

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I am also not an 'expert' but I see nothing to make me believe it isn't genuine. Perhaps just a bit worn/cleaned and struck with worn dies?

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If you do not trust the seller, you should not order the coin. Real or fake is not determined by a vote on Coin Talk. Judging only from photos is similarly unwise but I see nothing I could not explain away from reasons other than it being fake. That does not mean I believe one way or the other.
    I don't know about all 'Prospective buyers'. Many will not buy the coin from you if they think like Ed. The type is not hard enough to find that you could not find one you would not feel obligated to put up for a vote here.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Deacon Ray and Julius Germanicus like this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here is my example of the OP coin for comparison:

Plautilla Venus Victrix Denarius.jpg

16. Julius Germanicus

Thank you everybody for sharing your opinions!

True, but it still has helped me a lot in the past to uncover and return some rotten tomatoes in my collection.
    And aren´t those votes part of what makes this site fun besides being educational? :)

So I did just push the button and will post self-made pictures as soon as it is here.

Being a Denarius it will stand out from my otherwise bronze portrait gallery, but should have much more eye appeal than my blurred Limes As which I decided to sell instead (I gave up on hoping to ever own a roman mint Plautilla AE).

17. Julius Germanicus

Here it is:

P2100124.jpg P2100127.jpg

It really was, I guess :)

18. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

We have to deal with the LATEST generation of forgers who are willing to do it for few bucks.

Deacon Ray and Julius Germanicus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted