Is this PCGS coin and holder genuine?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kazuma78, Mar 5, 2015.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Ive been out of the game for a couple of years and keep hearing everyone talk about all the fake slabs out there. Im looking at one coin but it was graded a long time ago and just want some opinions on it. Its hard to ID the coin because it was before PCGS took pictures and the only other picture is from a heritage auction in 2000 and the picture from heritage isnt very high resolution. Heres the link to the coin:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Norfol...lver-Half-Dollar-Commem-GEM-BU-/151604899225?

What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me.

4. kazuma78

I thought so too, just wanted at least one other opinion.

5. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

The toning seems to match the HA pic too. The only difference I see is that the "In God We Trust" is fuzzy. Maybe a scuff on the slab?

6. kazuma78

Yeah I think thats a scuff on the holder. I thought the toning matched too but its kind of harder to see on the ebay pic. I think the heritage pic is just washed out and not real great quality

7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Yes, it looks perfectly fine to me. Reiterate that the slab does look scuffed a bit, but a beautiful coin.

8. EagleEyez

EagleEyez Hoarding coinage since 1974

A beauty. In my opinion, the coin and slab appear to be genuine. The surfaces seem to be original. I would also suspect a scuff on the slab over the motto. Price is only a tad higher than auction averages, not bad considering the usual premium for the bean. As one I don't have yet in MS67, I would buy this coin right now, if I hadn't already tapped my budget (or have I? LOL). On a slightly different but related tangent, and one that I haven't seen discussed here; Has there (yet) been incidences of counterfeit CAC stickers seen in the marketplace?

9. kazuma78

Im sure the counterfeiters have thought of it if it were to give the buyer some extra assurance. They will fake pretty much anything i think

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me. Price isn't bad, either, if you have the 5x eBay Bucks deal today.

11. messydesk

12. kazuma78

thank you for that, that guy got a good buy on it

13. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

It looks real to me, a very nice looking coin too.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

kazuma78 likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The first modern counterfeit PCGS slabs came out years after that slab style was discontinued and I have never seen them go back and produce counterfeits of the earlier styles

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  16. kazuma78

Thanks for the opinions guys! The most recent heritage sale really helped! Bought it and its on the way! Not bad with the 10% ebay bucks. That was a major motivator of the deal.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

How much did it sell for at HA?

18. messydesk

$364.25, which includes the vig.

19. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen of a fake coin/slab with CAC ? That I haven't seen yet...no stories so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted