Is This Old PVC Damage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JickyD, Jan 17, 2020.

1. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I found this Barber Half with good details, but with looks like a pitted surface from PVC poisoning. The 2x2 it came out of definitely had some PVC in the vinyl, but had very little green slime and the coin was blast white. So I'm guessing sometime in the past it had bad PVC corrosion, someone buffed it, and put it in another flip that also had PVC.

Would you agree? Do buffed silver coins tone back up or do they stay an odd color like the copper coins do? a.JPG b.JPG c.JPG d.JPG e.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I don't know that it was PVC causing those pits. Usually that causes stains that buffing the crap out of it would remove.

spirityoda, Hookman and JickyD like this.
  4. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Whizzed. IMHO. Harshly cleaned.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not PVC but it's been cleaned.

spirityoda, Hookman and JickyD like this.
  6. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

whizzed

Hookman and JickyD like this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's definitely been harshly cleaned, and definitely not whizzed. (Whizzing has a very distinctive look and that aint it.) As for the pitting, not likely to have been caused by PVC residue, that too has different look. My guess would be the coin was damaged by very advanced and extreme toning - which does cause pitting that looks just like that. Then it was dipped and buffed up, which is what left the visible lines.

JickyD, Hoky77 and wxcoin like this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Man, someone went to town on this coarsely cleaning/buffing the surface.
    You can see vertical and horizontal buffing/cleaning lines. Around the edges of the nose/mouth, stars, etc you can see where the coarser buffing didn't get that small area as the surface in those small areas are still somewhat intact and smooth(ish).
    upload_2020-1-18_9-41-10.png

9. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Very badly whizzed.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That looks nothing like a whizzed coin.

Hoky77 likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This coin has NOT been whizzed. It HAS been cleaned. It looks nothing like a whizzed coin. These are not my coins but you can easily see the difference.

IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3606.JPG

12. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Looks like it got the good old Brillo pad scrub-a-dub :eek:

anigif_sub-buzz-32728-1476917090-2.gif

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A lot of people use the terms whizzed, whizzing as generic terms to refer to coins that have a lot of lines from harsh cleaning, and or actual whizzing. But whizzing has very distinctive and very specific diagnostics that is/are completely and totally different than any and all other forms of harsh cleaning. This is due to how whizzing is done, it is done with a high speed rotating brush, and that brush leaves a build up of metal up close to the edges of the devices. And typically, if whizzing is done by someone who knows what they are doing, the devices themselves are never whizzed, only the fields are.

In other cases some call coins that look like this one whizzed because they simply don't know how to correctly identify a whizzed coin. And this often occurs because others give them bad information. And yeah, sometimes that bad information is even found in books and articles.

Draft saved Draft deleted