Is this odd? A mule of Nerva's reverse on a Trajan fourree denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

So this fourree denarius of Trajan has been in my collection for a while. Apart from the copper core breaking through, it's in absolute mint state (and I always lamented it being a fourree).

However, I found something odd: I could not find the combination of the obverse and the reverse. So, either my searching skills are poor (which is probably the most likely case), or the AEQVITAS AVGVST reverse is a mule from Nerva.

First, the reverse: AEQVITAS AVGVST is, as far as I could find, only issued during the reign of Nerva: at http://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=rev_legendCondensed_text:AEQVITASAVGVST, there are three aureii and four denari, so seven coins in total, all minted during the reign of Nerva.

The obverse is probably: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P (quite a mouthfull...).

So here's the coin:
    upload_2019-11-29_20-43-48.png
    Diameter 19mm; weight 2.43g.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's common for ancient fouree forgeries to have the reverse of one ruler muled to the obverse of another. This fouree of Orbiana, for example, is a mule between an obverse of Orbiana and a reverse of her mother-in-law:

[​IMG]

Genuine Orbiana:

[​IMG]

Genuine Julia Mamaea:

[​IMG]

I think this was deliberate on the part of the forgers because it allowed them to identify their handiwork and avoid taking it as the genuine article if encountered in circulation.

4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Mine is the other way round. Nerva with Trajan reverse. Third photo captures the actual colour of the coin.

Nerva 20150003 obv.jpg
    Nerva 20150003 rev.jpg
    nerva colour 1.JPG

Ruler: Nerva
    Coin: Silver Fouree Denarius Anct Fake
    IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR PII COS III PP - Nerva laureatte right
    PONT MAX????? COS II - Pax standing left with branch and cornucopia
    Wt./Size/Axis: 2.57g / 19mm / -
    Notes: Jan 14, 15 - Obverse used in RIC 25 and others, reverse used for Trajan. Obverse has COS III and reverse is COS II

Great fun to speculate on these ancient fakes and the shennanigans that used to go on in the mints.

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'll pile on with another fourree mule :).

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic fourree mule denarius
    L. Antestius Gragulus, 136 BCE, and C. Renius, 138 BCE

ancient forgery, 3.18 gm
    Obv: Roma helmeted head right, * below chin, GRAG behind
    Rev: Juno Caprotina in a biga of goats, C・RENI below, ROMA in exergue
    Ref: Obverse S.115, Cr.238/1, Syd.451, RSC Antestia 9; Reverse S.108, Cr.231/1, Syd.432, RSc Renia 1

I agree, so I wrote a short fictional story about how my coin may have come to be :).

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Fun to speculate on Fourrees

[​IMG]
    RR fourée mule anon Q Fabius Labeo denarius 18mm 2.9g after 124 BC Roma X Jupiter Quadriga tbolt scepter Cr 159 obv Cr 273-1 rev

7. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Some forgers evidently mixed up dies quite often. This plated denarius combines an obverse of C. Egnatius Cn. F. Cn. N. Maxsumus and a reverse of L. Papius . Phil Davis had a coin from the same reverse die in his collection combined with an obverse of Thorius Balbus, which can be seen as NE4 here.
    EngatuleiusPapiusFouree-1200.png

8. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Thanks all! I definitely learned something new (and, finally, a unique coin in my collection :happy:). @TIF I enjoyed your story!

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted