Is this normal, or can this patina be damaging?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DBDc80, Aug 20, 2017.

1. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

So, i really like this coin, the patina really sets it off...but my question is can this kind of patina be damaging to ancient coins? I know that if this were on, say, an early U.S. large cent, people would run for the hills! Please, tell me your thoughts. Image courtesy of CNG. 4040171.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It looks like hard mineral deposits. If so, it will not hurt the coin at all.

4. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks fine, typical of the type. Bronzes do need to be carefully stored though. I generally give all of mine a light coat of Verdicare if there is any verdigris at all, and of course store in a low humidity environment.

The mere presence of hard dark green deposits generally not something that devalues an ancient coin. Most people much prefer their bronze coins to have a patina!

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

When you see green deposits on Ancient coins, it is good to be cautious. If it's hard, it is most likely safe. If it's fuzzy and kinda soft, it is more likely bronze disease and can eat away at the metal till you have nothing left.

Multatuli likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The question is more whether the coin is already damaged under the green. Removing it may work but it may reveal something less good looking. Leaving it would be the choice of most.

Multatuli likes this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

In addition to what others have said, I would point out that CNG is quite good about pointing out bronze disease if a coin is suffering from it, and they rarely sell coins with bronze disease - only if they're types of considerable rarity.

Multatuli likes this.
  9. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

I agree with @Bing and @dougsmit.
    In my opinion, this coin was already cleaned, and his patine is in new process of development. The green hard deposits are older, and wasn't removed before. Under these deposits, if removed can it show corrosion areas.
    Personally, don't touch this.

Draft saved Draft deleted