IS THIS NICKEL WORTH SAVING?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by SmokinJoe, Jul 20, 2019.

1. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

This coin is in really bad shape, it appears to be a 1813 Nickel. Do you think it is worth saving? I would think yes, but really not sure.
    SingleShot0001.jpg SingleShot0000.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Well, they didn't mint an 1813 in this type coin. It could be a 1912 or 1883, don't know. I can't make out any mint marks. The coin is heavily damaged. It's not worth much more then 5 cents. You could spend it.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like 1912 to me.

Chris

SmokinJoe likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1912 corroded. Maybe worth 10-15 cents. Because it is a V.
    The absolute key here would be to try to determine if
    it has a D or S mint mark. If it was an S it would be worth more even in this
    condition. The D is rarer than the Philly.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is the sort of coin that I like to hand off to youngsters to get their numismatic fires burning. I would at least hang on to it until a suitable interested youngster crosses your path.

cpm9ball, SmokinJoe and Santinidollar like this.
  7. Michael K

1912-S 238,000 mintage.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Definitely not 1813... nor 1913... all five of them are accounted for.

The Liberty "V" Nickel was minted from 1883 to 1912 with five 1913 pieces known that were manufactured under unusual circumstances.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3683.html

In that condition, it's (still) worth 5c.

9. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

That would be the perfect coin for scratching lotto tickets.

10. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

I hope I look that good when I'm 100 years old.

(of course it's a keeper - offer it for free, plus postage, to all the nay-sayers here. Your inbox flood will crash the forum boards)

SmokinJoe likes this.
  11. Michael K

I'm still seeing 1912. This is the only time I am in favor of a microscope,
    in order to look for a mint mark. I have a 1912-D nickel. This photo is not my coin, just showing the placement of the mm.
    1912d.png
    1912-d-liberty-head-nickel.jpg

12. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

I like your idea nuMRmatist :hilarious:

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Is it worth saving? It depends on your reason for asking the question.

If you think it's a cool find from change, then yes it's worth saving. If you like it, then it's worth saving. If you are hoping it will appreciate in value, then it's not worth saving. With that much damage and corrosion, it will never be worth more than a nickel.

Contrary to what @nuMRmatist said, the people telling you it's not worth saving are those answering the "will it be worth something" question. Many posts from novice collectors on CT want to know what it's worth. The members who answered you, were just giving you straight up info.

If I got this in change, I would put it back in circulation. Why? After almost 50 years of collecting, I have enough low grade stuff cluttering drawers and boxes. Why not spend it and let somebody else find something cool (like you did) and maybe become interested in numismatics.

SmokinJoe and eddiespin like this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It might've been part of the great American Coin Roll Hunt. It's in pretty bad shape so why don't you release it into the wild and let somebody else find it and post it here in CT? :)

SmokinJoe and Islander80-83 like this.
  15. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

"info" ?

That's a typo. You meant 'opinion'. I don't know how you can screw up the digits like that, but we know you meant 'OPINION'.

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's not an opinion that the coin was damaged by corrosion

It's not an opinion that the coin has no added numismatic value in that condition, nor will the numismatic value increase over time.

It is an opinion that all the nay-sayers would jump at the chance to take this off his hands for 55 cents postage (plus 55 cents to send the SASE). Maybe a few new collectors would do this but not the experienced collectors that responded to smoking joes question (that is my opinion).

Hope this helps

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Now that's an opinion! :)

brenda thornton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted