Is this nice? or is it a common find?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Monster, Jun 22, 2018.

1. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

I have placed many dozens if not hundreds of Proof coins in circulation with the hope that people will notice them. In my regular day job I was a cashier so I would bring impaired Proofs (and other things like wheat cents) to work and mix them in the change when a parent was with kids. I would just make some comment like that is a funny looking quarter to make sure the parents looked at the change. Almost every time the funny quarter or old cent went to the kids.

Using the 1968-S quarter as an example, I retail them for 55 cents on my website. That is only 30 cents above face value. So you can imagine that an impaired Proof has virtually no value above face value when a nice one is only 30 cents over. Same thing with say a super common 1945 circulated wheat cent. Better for me to just circulate them to try to get people looking at their change. As you have seen, other dealers do the exact same thing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I wish I payed with cash. Maybe I could have got a few wheats and proofs in change.;)

Monster likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Oh yeah baby. Proof for 25 cents. We all wish

Monster likes this.
  5. Cheech9712

Do you understand these words. COLLECTING. Pocket change. Don't be an ask

Monster likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

I hear ya. I only save what fills a hole. All the rest go back to wild. Good job. Its an honor to know you

Monster likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

We love you man. We do this for fun. And when we find something we know is special.we share our finds and then you get some dic that goes out of there way to pop your bubble saying big deal!!! You can find proof 68's in a box of 500 coins. Bullcrap. Members like that sox

Monster likes this.
  8. Monster

Monster Member

I am very happy the way this post turned around to be about "the fun of collecting"...I just started doing this and after a few days of trying to learn things, I was thinking maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Seems a few of my posts for some reason brought out the nasty in others, and I felt it welling up in myself too.
    #1 I want this new hobby to be fun
    #2 If I find a way to make a profit - that's a big bonus
    #3 Stay away from negative thinking, because that ruins #1
    Thanks all for your advice and comments. I'm keeping it.

RonSanderson and Theodosius like this.
  9. Monster

Monster Member

Love what you did with the kids and hopefully sparking their love of coins. As with all collection hobbies, I wish more people collected for "fun", not for trying to make a profit or trying to become the "Grand-Poobah-of-Knowlege" and then spending the rest of their time trying to prove it. I learned my lesson when I collected all things Disney. I amassed a small fortune, then lost it all in the Northridge Quake. Talk about learning the hard way....great post, thanks.

ACE Mike likes this.
  10. Monster

Monster Member

I thought about that too, saving all washington quarters, even the clad. 2K would fill 10 large mayonaisse jars (I know because i bought $100 in quarters and they filled exactly 1 jar). I know they wont be valuable but..... Treasure map.jpg what if buried the jars and then gave my grandkids a treasure map when I die. One clue for each kid with coordinates (completed when all clues come together). That would bring them together at least to see each other, and hopefully bring them closer to each other. When they find out I only hid a few grand I still think they'll appreciate it, just being together to do something fun.

11. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

1971-s Washington quarter! Never have seen one before; very cool find. Thanks for sharing it.

12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

The problem comes when they can't find it and it stays buried for decades.

Monster likes this.
  13. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

To Monster. Captain Flint (parrot) - "Pieces of 8, pieces of 8 !"

Monster likes this.
  14. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

Saving common clad coinage is actually the opposite of investing, as inflation will lower the buying power of the currency while it remains at face value indefinitely.

15. Monster

Monster Member

Then I'll be the Grandma that is responsible for the next Hatfield & MCcoy Fued.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. Monster

Monster Member

I was wondering if it was even possible that my thought would have a "down side". And to think I thought it was a good idea....
    (hangs her head in shame, a single tear slowly falling down her cheek as she turns and walks toward the sunset.....)

17. Monster

Monster Member

Arghh!...

Draft saved Draft deleted