Is this Morgan better than AU?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dr. Fosgate, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Dr. Fosgate

Dr. Fosgate Member

I estimate this coin to be AU55, but am curious if maybe it is a really ugly MS coin?
    The obverse has some awful circular scuffing I am guessing is from moving around in a plastic roll at one point in its life...

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I'd say it's worse than AU (or AU Details at the most). The coin has been improperly stored. In fact, nearly all Morgans were improperly stored from the time they were minted as they were moved around in big heavy canvas bags with no concern for their long term condition or preservation.

As a result, it is nearly impossible to find them without some kind of nicks and issues. However, the nicks and scuffs on yours are particularly pronounced. I'd say you'd be doing this Morgan and society in general a favor by sending it to the refining pot.

4. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Still has some really nice luster 'round the edges, I'd be tempted to say low MS. Otherwise, looks like someone was trying to put it to death via tiny scratches... I'd be afraid it'd come back from grading with environmental damage, looks like a 1/2 dollar sat on its face for a while. Too bad, because almost PL, obverse probably had more of a cameo on the visage before the repeated attempts on its life;)

5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Unless the photo is bad the eagles breast feathers are gone.
    Nice luster but not AU.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

7. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

This coin will come back Details Graded because of the wheel marks. I'd just keep it in a transparent hard plastic round holder to preserve it because beside that flaw the coin looks pretty fine to me.

Don P likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nice details in the hair. Has it been in acetone?
    If it is XF and not details, it's worth 3x the melting pot.
    However it's not worth the cost of grading.

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I would say it is definitely a details coin. No way it straight grades with that badly damaged obverse. I would call it AU details, and very low AU details at that.

longshot and Don P like this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Looks like UNC details to me

11. TypeCoin971793

Fully lustrous == low AU

Lol

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

13. Morgandude11

Badly beaten up. The obverse looks like it was run over.

NOS likes this.
  14. Don P

Don P Active Member

I agree!

15. TypeCoin971793

Yes, it looks like it lost a fight with a coin roller, but it does not change the fact that it is a technical AU-58 (at least) details. Saying it is low AU details is flat-out wrong.

16. Morgandude11

In my experience, if it were not a details coin, it would be AU 50-53. Just my call—you disagree, that is good. Point is, no matter what, it is a details coin, in the AU ballpark.

NOS likes this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

You generally grade AU coins 3-5 points low. I should be used to it by now.

18. Dr. Fosgate

Dr. Fosgate Member

When I purchased this coin, my first thought was that it had residue on the surface. I then proceeded to soak it in acetone. When nothing changed I knew the surfaces were scuffed.

The other bummer for me is if you photograph the coin from an angle (not straight on), the scuffing disappears. I did not see it in the photograph when I bought it.

I feel better knowing my original assumption of its grade was in line with most everyone who has posted here. Thank you all for your input!

Now I will see how it does at auction and if it goes for AU55 prices.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Knowing the coin is damaged, you shouldn't take more than half of that price.
    If you were fooled by deceptive photography shame on that seller, but don't pass that off on someone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted