Is this Mexican 8 reales real?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I bought this coin from a coin shop when I was first starting collecting and didn't know what I was doing. I know the shop wouldn't deliberately sell me a fake, but they're not knowledgeable about world coins there. I've always thought the color is really odd and the details seem weak. I don't have any other coins of this type to compare it to though. It doesn't stick to a magnet at least. I don't have a scale to get the weight. If it is real then something seems to have been done to it - some kind of harsh cleaning I'd guess. So with all of those things in mind, what do you think? IMG_20190122_0001.jpg IMG_20190122_0002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

The odd toning, textures and scratches reminds me of fake "big head" silver dollars, but I can't be sure. Post pics of the edge.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What does it weigh?
    This one in my photo should be real and weighs 27.07g.
    Untitled3.png

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It doesn't look right to me.

6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

It looks very suspicious. That does not look like real wear.

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

(sitting at the edge of her seat, biting nails)

Hispanicus and Bayern like this.
  8. Hiddendragon

Here's the best I can do on the edge. As I said in my initial post, I don't have a scale that can weigh coins. P_20190122_160905_LL.jpg

9. Michael K

Weight is critical. And not having an $8 scale that can be purchased on Amazon
    and delivered on your doorstep in 48 hours is not a valid excuse. The one I use only goes to 1/10th of a gram but it has been invaluable.
    index.jpg

serafino, Seattlite86 and jgenn like this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

It looked fake until you showed the edge now idk. :)

11. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I used to collect 8Rs. It doesn't pop out as fake to me, even before seeing the edge. Clearly some heavy environmental or chemical damage.

12. Michael K

You could find out if it was silver if anyone you know has a metal detector.
    If you are willing to damage it further and nick the edge and see if it is silver inside. Unless it's very rare, a fake is not going to be made of silver.

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Some of the Mexican states coinage can be extremely crude.

I don't think this one looks right to me, however. It looks cast (which I don't think any of the Mexican coinage was).

14. Hiddendragon

I'll have to invest in a scale to see if that helps to answer it. I feel like I paid $8 for it probably 8-9 years ago so I'm not out a lot if it's fake. I'd just like to know for sure. If it's fake I'd rather not have it in my collection. I collect Mexican coins but I focus on the period after 1905.

15. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I'd say it's a modern fake for sure. This year/mint is a well struck issues. Sometimes some weakness in the periphery, but not in the center. What we see here is the result of lost details during the design transfer process. The details may look mostly correct, but the profile depth of various design elements isn't transferred correctly. That's why areas that should be raised, like around the left side of the cap, are at the same level as the fields.

16. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I think two obvious problems to zero in on here are the dentils (compare with any photo online) and the simplified edge design.

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Perform a specific gravity test. Never, EVER file the edge or txt on a scratch stone.

Bayern likes this.
  18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Cast counterfeit with an odd edge that is not correct.

19. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I realized I have this date/mm in my collection, so a couple of quick photos. Hiddendragon, I hope you don't mind my combining your edge photo with my own.

Attached Files:

20. Hiddendragon

Thanks for all the replies. It seems pretty conclusive that mine is fake. I can't say I'm surprised, and I would never have bought it if I came across it now.

LaCointessa and Seattlite86 like this.
  21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Agreed on thinking it is fake. It’s always interesting to look back at what we bought and wonder what we were thinking. It’s a good thing though, because it shows growth.

Draft saved Draft deleted