Is this Justin II & Sophia?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jul 22, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

This coin appears to match up with a Justin II & Sophia half-follis, but I wanted confirmation since I'm no good with Byzantines.

Obverse: Two seated figures facing front. --ANTP-AV
    Reverse: large K. ANNO - V(?). Cross above, TES mintmark.

IMG_E6067.JPG
    Diam: 20x17mm
    Weight: 2.9g

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have one that I still haven't completely attributed. All I can get is Byzantine 1/2 Follis. ANNO TES. 200624191805089.jpg 200624191814811.jpg

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like J&S to me.
    [​IMG]

5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Yep, looks like it to me too, @hotwheelsearl

Here is a similar example of mine from Thessalonica...
    [​IMG]
    Justin II & Sophia, Ruled 565-578 AD
    AE Half Follis, Thessalonica Mint
    Struck 571/572 AD

Obverse: DN IVSTI-NVS PP AVG, Justin (left), holding globus cruciger, and Sophia (right), holding cruciform scepter, seated facing on double throne.
    Reverse: Large K, A/N/N/O to left, cross above, regnal year IG to right (RY 7), mintmark TES in exergue.
    References: DOC 44-52; Sear 361
    Size: 28.6mm 12.77g

6. Inspector43

Mine might look like those if I turn one side 90 degrees.

7. furryfrog02

Oh, whoops here is my Justinian II and Sophia Half Follis:

Justinian II and Sofia, Half Follis.png

Looks like a lot of us have Half Folle from Thessalonica

8. hotwheelsearl

Thanks for the replies! These are pretty neat and decent size. I already have my hands full with Roman but one of these days I might take the leap to Byz...

Inspector43 and Justin Lee like this.
  9. furryfrog02

I have come to really love Byzantine coins and all their large, heavy, oddly shaped, overstruck and poorly engraved portraits.
    It doesn't hurt that the prices are pretty good too, compared to other coins :)

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Inspector43

Here is perhaps a better photo of the other side of mine. 200722175231030.jpg

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I really like the Justin II & Sophia coins especially the large folles. Like @furryfrog02, these big byzantine are very satisfying to collect!

[​IMG]
    AE Follis, Cyzicus Mint, 1st officina
    Struck 574/575 AD

Obverse: D N I-VSTI-NVS P P AV, Justin (left), holding globus cruciger, and Sophia (right), holding cruciform scepter, seated facing on double throne; cross above.
    Reverse: Large M, A/N/N/O to left, cross above, regnal year X to right (RY 10), officina letter A below, mintmark KYZ in exergue.
    References: Sear 372, DOC 123a
    Size: 27mm, 10.73g

[​IMG]
    AE Follis, Constantinople Mint, 3rd officina, 565/566 AD

Obverse: D N IVSTI - NVS P P AV, Justin left and Sophia right, seated facing on double-throne, both nimbate, Justin holding cross on globe, Sophia holding scepter topped by cross.
    Reverse: Large M, A-N-N-O to left, cross above, regnal year II to right (RY 2), officina letter Γ below, mintmark CON in exergue.
    References: Sear 360
    Size: 28mm, 15.19g

[​IMG]
    AE Follis, Nicomedia Mint, 1st officina
    Struck 573/574 AD

Obverse: DN IVSTI-NVS PP AVG, Justin (left), holding globus cruciger, and Sophia (right), holding cruciform scepter, seated facing on double throne.
    Reverse: Large M, A/N/N/O to left, cross above, regnal year GI/II to right (RY 9), officina letter A below, mintmark NIKO in exergue.
    References: DOC 99a; Sear 369
    Size: 28.6mm 12.77g

12. furryfrog02

@Justin Lee those are some great examples! I've only got one follis and it is a bit ratty. To be fair, I only paid about $5 for it. It came with a Littleton Coin Co. "tag" so I can only imagine what the original buyer paid for it.

Justin II and Sofia, Follis, Constantinople.png

13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'll join the party!

[​IMG]
    Justin II and wife Sophia, AD 565-578.
    Byzantine Æ follis, 31.2 mm, 14.52 g, 12 h.
    Nicomedia, AD 570/71.
    Obv: DN IVSTINVS PP AVG, Justin, on left, holding globus cruciger and Sophia, on right, holding cruciform scepter.
    Rev: Large M, surmounted by cross; officina B below; ANNO at left; G (regnal year 6) at right; NIKO in exergue
    Refs: Sear Byz 369; Dumbarton Oaks 96a; MIBE 46b.

14. Inspector43

Nice coins. I was just lucky to get one. I only collect from uncleaned coin lots. Clean them and hope for something nice. I haven't been doing it long. But, I have about 100 fairly nice coins.

Justin Lee likes this.
  15. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

The year 10 Kyzicus follis, is most likely the product of a military mint, or other temporary issuer. The style
    is distinct.

Here is a link to a newly published private Byzantine collection in England. The collector, author, and researcher wrote the book not only to codify his research and collection, but also to distribute it to
    other researchers and museum collections. The author is very generous with his book and the knowledge he is sharing with us.

Now the good news. The entire collection is available online which can be downloaded and it's free...a very good price. https://www.byzantine-ae.info/.

I guarantee that as you peruse it, you will go to your collection to see if you have any. Happy hunting, check it out.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  16. hotwheelsearl

Wow, what a resource! The more I think about it the more tempted I am to dive into Byzantine for real now...

furryfrog02 and Justin Lee like this.
  17. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Glad you went there, it certainly is a work of love. I went to a coin shop that I haunt yesterday and was lucky enough to pick up five nice folles. A very happy day as they were priced way too low. One never knows.

I do indeed appreciate the book; if your just starting it really will give you a leg up. Just play with it and have fun. This is my hobby, I do it for fun. Cheers!

Draft saved Draft deleted