IS this IHC VF+?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by buddy16cat, Aug 10, 2012.

1. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

This picture isn't so hot and there is stuff on the 2X2 but what grade would you give it and if you didn't want it and list it on here what would you charge? I am just asking since I thought the bid was low when it was about to expire and bid and won. Redbook lists this coin at F for $5 and VF for $8 but that is too high. Maybe just list it for what I paid if I decide not to keep it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261076368770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I am not seeing a VF coin in the picture, But for 2 bucks you did ok.

4. buddy16cat

I am seeing fine really, but it is $2 and do like the coin so I will probably not sell it. I really need to post a better pic though when I get it. This coin was graded F15 and it looks like it has a stronger liberty.

Attached Files:

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I see a Fine, but with possible verdigris.

6. buddy16cat

I mostly see just crap on the 2X2. I don't see much verdigris if present but their may be a slight green patina. I posted a coin with heavy verdigris earlier. I really need to get it to make a determination.

7. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

terrible seller pics - looking forward to your pics with the coin out of the 2X2. Reality is that if the seller had great pics, it would have gone for more than you paid.

8. buddy16cat

Yes, another example of a bad pic causing an item to sell for lower. I am trying to look at the "liberty" but there is some sort of glare, not to mention all the crap on or beneath the 2X2 not on the coin itself.

9. buddy16cat

Here is a different picture. I don't believe it is VF, I believe it is F and the IHC above I posted is closer to VF than this one. I am going to have to take it out of the 2x2 and I will put it in a air-tight I was sold by mistake (wrong size).
    vfihc.jpg
    vfihcback.jpg

10. buddy16cat

11. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

I know that at my local coin dealer all IHC in that condition and even some better are all around 80 cents

12. buddy16cat

Really? I got this from a dealer from a coin show for $2 as well below. I should check out the local PM shop since I know he would not buy my buffalo nickels because he has too many already he can't sell. I know the closest shop to me is high, higher than PM shop for just about everything. I know the Redbook price is $5-$8 and numismedia $2-$3 depending on the grade but their IHC prices are low compared to other coins. The dealer may want to try selling on Ebay or at shows or something if he is selling coins much lower than their worth. Of course at the PM dealer I shopped at I have bought many coins that were underpriced.
    indianhead.jpg

13. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

I would say roughly Fine. $2 is just fine:)

14. buddy16cat

It is certainly nicer than the coin I bought locally for only 9 cents more.

15. buddy16cat

I bought another coin from the same seller. Nobody bid for maybe the same reason, there is stuff on the camera and probably some inside the 2*2 coins that you can just blow off like the last coin I bought. Do you think it is XF or would you say it is VF like I think?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170891686252?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I am going to sell it here with a better pic for what I paid for this lower grade coin below since I already have the date which was $2.75. Think that is ok? I do see slight verdigris on the reverse on the reef but know some here like to test Badthad's Verdicare and that should take care of that slight verdicare.
    newindianfront.jpg

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I can see where the first coin at the top was F-15, but the second coin is not XF. As a matter of fact I would want to make sure I can see all of liberty on the 1906. I place it right now in the F/VF range, but leaning towards fine. To help you with grading go to Rick Snows site and download his PDF on grading IHC's. It will help you a lot.

I did not look real close at the coin so I am not sure about the verdigris - but it could be.

17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

www.indiancent.com/grading.pdf

18. buddy16cat

These pics aren't the best to grade from I noticed but based on my last purchase from the seller, I would automatically drop a grade. Grading is sometimes pretty subjective and I am not a grader, but the last coin I bought I believe it to be fine but it was listed as very fine so I would drop this automatically to very fine. I will post a pic when I get it and blow off any debris on the coin or 2x2. It seems the seller though changes the 2x2 before sale since these are all from someone's collection and the seller is listing for someone else. I don't answer the star on description since I believe grading is subjective, maybe the collector honestly believed this coin is XF. I certainly thought it was a good deal at 99 cents and could in fact sell it at profit.

19. buddy16cat

Here is a scan of my latest purchase. Nobody bid with seconds left, got it for 99 cents with free shipping but uncertain about the grade. I can see if you look at it with the naked eye it looks like it has a full liberty banner. The seller says their father sold coins for 30 years.
    latest1906ihc.jpg

20. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I've been on a IHC kick lately, mostly looking for the VF to AU. In order to be VF+, Liberty has to be sharp with little to no even wear on the letters.

21. buddy16cat

The Redbook definition for VF20 is slight but even wear on liberty. I was reading some thing on grading IHCs. It states that the VF coin has a full liberty and full bottom banner and an XF has the lower curl separate from the ribbon, I haven't figured that out.. It looks more full with the naked eye for some reason. I have downgraded the IHCs I have been buying from this seller. It states on their description their father was a coin dealer for 30 years but he may not be the person grading them. The one coin I bought was listed as VF I dropped it to F and this one was listed as XF but I think it may be a lower VF. I may sell it here since I already have this year or may just keep it anyway. I may just keep this one:
    newindianfront.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted