Is this half commem coin good to bid on?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Clawcoins, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yes, I know the vendor has a significant black eye on this forum, with long posts of long shenanigans.

But we all hope for something positive from time to time. Looking at this coin I see some good detail especially on the reverse, eagle's chest feathers. I'm wondering what it looks like in hand, but only one way to find out.

So what do the experts and non-experts think?
    Good details, good coin. Potential Max valuation?
    ==> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-S-Pan...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Lemme Caution likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Pan-Pac is one of my favorite commems, but this one just looks too clean for my taste.

Chris

Lemme Caution and spirityoda like this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It is raw, and possible deceptive photos.

5. Clawcoins

Yes, I'm worried about the "too clean" and "deceptive photos"
    The details though, you can't create details ??

I'm not a slab person. I love looking at coins under magnification to see the details, and not looking at it through a plastic slab.

6. TheMiz

TheMiz Member

Its all in the photography. This seller is a master at adjusting the lighting to obscure the flaws. I have bought several high grade commems from this seller without a problem; however, the were either PCGS or NGC slabbed! Remember....... Lighting + Photoshop = Deception

7. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

This.

8. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I've bought one coin from them. Slabbed.

I would guess this PP has been cleaned, even though it doesn't show in the photos.

One other thing about the Pan-Pacifics - There are two fairly common RPM's for the coin, and most of them the seller is unaware of it. Barely a premium for it, but I like having the RPM over the regular one. RPM FS-501 RPM FS-502

9. Beefer518

I just realized the links don't show the RPM very well. Search, and you'll find it. (Sorry, being lazy) :yawn:

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If you buy a raw coin from that dealer, you can’t say you haven’t been warned.

Lemme Caution and coinsareus10 like this.
  11. Clawcoins

With all the warnings, the "it's too good to be true" scenario is probably warranted. So I'll stay away. Never thought that they may photoshop the image.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Many negative things said about GS, there was even a thread on them. As far as I remember, the majority opinion was that their photos were taken to show the coin at its best advantage but Photoshop was not used. Good for real bargain coins, but when they get close to their retail value, look elsewhere.

Stevearino and Beefer518 like this.
  13. Beefer518

That's what I recall as well from the thread. It's not a terribly old thread, so should be easy to find.

At some point, I will probably buy a raw coin from them, after I 'read' the photo, and then see how well I did. They have a no questions asked return policy, so I don't feel it's a huge risk. However, there are a number of feedback saying it took forever to get the funds back from them.

The thing is, they seem to have an incredible selection of coins,.

14. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

Personally, I think that's a positively glorious-looking coin. Strikingly beautiful!

15. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

While as I said I clearly am intrigued by the IDEA of this coin, after reader all the cautionary posts by a lot of very well informed folks on here I too would take a pass on the actual ACQUISITION of it. :stop:

Draft saved Draft deleted