Is this guy serious!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by pete1970, Aug 12, 2009.

1. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Link don't work.

stainless

4. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

try again the first one was an error.It should work now.

5. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Scardinal is not a seller I would recommend to anyone. I've given him offers, good offers on his coins, a lot of his listings are over retail, and he just ignores me, or counters at $1 off of his list price

6. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

It looks to have some problems and to be overpriced. But accurate color for copper coins is hard to capture in images and I can't tell for certain that it's been cleaned. What makes it "obviously cleaned" to you?

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The coin looks ok to me , except for those black spots not a bad looking coin .
    rzage

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I also see a lamination flake, a possible pitted corrosion spot, and several carbon spots on the obverse that would turn me away, but I don't see any apparent cleaning. It looks AU to me, so superb gem shouldn't apply.

Jim

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

From what I have seen, Scardinal has very good service and honors his return policy. Just stay away from his off brand slabs.

BTW, my guess is that coin has not been cleaned, but as Mark says, it is extremely hard to tell copper coins true color.

10. tmoneyeagles

He has been rude to me, in the sense that he doesn't have the decency to respond to fair offers. Although, if you had dealt with him, and had a good experience, or know somebody who does, I'll take your word, but I still wouldn't do business with him.

11. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

Look at the patina or lack of it.
    you think this coin hasent been cleaned.

12. Mark Feld

If, by chance, you are referring to the area to the left of star 11, that is a mint-made die flaw, the likes of which are not particularly uncommon on coins of that type. Of course, I realize there are other problem areas you might be speaking of.:rolleyes:

13. tmoneyeagles

I don't think anything should be said for sure on this coin. I can see some spots where it has a different color on the reverse, this could happen from more cleaning chemicals in that one area, it could also be the angle of the lighting, or a flash that shows discoloration in areas.
    I think it is hard to tell for sure, is this coin cleaned, possibly, is the coin original, possibly.

14. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

well I have alot to learn about this stuff.Thats why I am here!
    Forget the cleaning. Do you agree with the price?

15. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I agree with Mark, I don't believe the coin has been cleaned. From the pics it looks like it still has some nice luster left, I think it has a decent shot at MS60-61.

16. Mark Feld

That appearance could easily be due to the over-done lighting and imaging.

17. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

With the problems on it , I'd say he's a little high , would like to see what NCS would do with it .
    rzage

18. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

Sorry guys, Perhaps I should have worded my opening statement better.
    I should have asked for opinions rather than making accusations.

19. tmoneyeagles

Well it is a good reason to be here. Stick around, and learn :thumb:

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I actually thought that was a flake of metal that had come off. I was referring to the dark spot in the beads of the hair bun. When enlarged it seemed like there wa a corrosion pit in the middle of the spot.

Jim

21. chip

chip Novice collector

I mistrust a coin image especially when it is shot at an angle, the reason being is that with the right angle, any obvious cleaning scratches can be hidden.

I bought a harshly cleaned peace dollar for 13 bucks, if you hold it the right way you cannot see all the big scratches where someone attacked it with a brillo pad, at the right angle it looks very shiny and nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted