Is This Guy Nuts?!?! 2010-D Nickel, PCGS MS-68 Full Steps for $4,000?!?!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinmaster1, Sep 5, 2010.

1. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

dont make me start those greedy pigs did the same and sent more than one billion people into hunger all over the world by doing the smae thing in agriculture. shameless buffoons.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

a slabbed coin like Caesars wife or GD's hat is above suspicion :D

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Well, those dates certainly fit my contention that the Morgan scams affected the market. As one may know, it could take years for the government to act after complaints are filed. As I remember, the hobby was in an uproar and calls were going out for the government to do something. Remember the government moves, but it moves slow. And, I believe the government initially took the same position they're taking now with counterfeits, not a problem big enough for us to worry about. Of course this is one of the facts that attracts more scam artists to coins, we're viewed as a hobby whose problems have traditionally been, "not big enough for government involvement". It wasn't until they received enough complaints that they were compelled to act.

Thanks for clarifying who the companies were - I knew the coins were slabbed but wasn't sure who slabbed them. Now, with all the talk these days about the top TPG'ers changing their grading standards, which even I can see when I look at the coin and not just the slab, I'd say some collector's of high priced, high grade coins are in extremely risky positions - not only from price swings, but from changing grading standards.

Aside from what I mentioned before about the risk of a company not honoring it's guarantees due to bankruptcy, is say, pcgs on the hook if they can show grading standards changed industry wide? And, if they are, I’d speculate it could potentially cost the average collector huge legal fees to collect.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I searched but cannot find a chart demonstrating lower volatility on circulated coins than uncirculated. Dougs chart shows the great volatility in 1989 but that group of coins is very high end if you look at the individual coins making up that index. I use assumed beta changes as a proxy for the OP assertion that a lower grade would be less volatile than a higher one. I understand that 65's were oversold to "investors", the fact still remains that anything higher than 65 was even higher priced than the 65's during that time frame. Higher beta is not bad in an up market, I was just making a point that a higher beta is by definition higher risk, that is all. Its not saying that they will go down, its just that the risk of downward movement is greater.

If anyone has price histories of Morgans it would be interesting just as a proxy to the overall market, even though they are the most "invested" coins. I know 66 and 67s came down even more in 1989 but would love to see the numbers.

6. sampson

sampson New Member

I have a Ms 68 1950 D that I paid $4,200.00 for

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Wow! I would like to see a photo of that coin. Please!

8. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Pic please! Certified? Full steps?

9. statequarterguy

Does one even exist?

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think I remember seeing an ICG MS68. There are no 1950-D MS68's graded by either PCGS or NGC to my knowledge or in the population reports.

11. statequarterguy

Did it look 68 or was it over graded? Looks like sampson may be kidding us.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

or he drank the Kool-Aid.

13. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I looked this up too after reading sampsons statement. ICG has not encapsulated an MS 68 for a 1950-D Jefferson Nickel .

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Small problem though - the complaints against NCI and PCGS were not even filed until after the market crash. So there was no waiting for the govt. to act.

Yes there was an uproar - BUT AFTER THE FACT ! Nobody ever said a word until after the market crashed. And even then it was only because the coins were sold as securities on the stock exchanges. That and that alone is the only reason the govt was able to get involved at all.

Bull ! They (the govt) jumped on it almost instantly. But again, there were no complaints until after the market crash, there were no suits against grading companies until after the market crash. And of course the govt did not act until after the market crash.

Don't get confused. Standard Financial Management Corp. never slabbed a singled coin. They were merley a coin dealer selling raw, over-graded coins.

NCI and PCGS were the grading companies involved. But they were not sued for selling anything - grading companies don't sell coins. They were sued because -

"The FTC charged that “PCGS misled consumers by falsely claiming that it provides consistent, objective grading of coins and that investment in PCGS-certified rare coins eliminates all the risk associated with the grading of coins.”

Had the coins not been sold on Wall St., and had the grading companies not touted their product as eliminating all risk when investing in coins - then the govt never would have gotten involved and there never would have been a suit.

There was never a claim that the coins they slabbed were over-graded, nor were they sued for over-grading. They were sued because they claimed that there was no risk for people that invested in their graded coins. However - the coin market collapsed. People lost a ton of money. So rather obviously there was a risk.

At last - something we agree on. But then anyone who has ever purchased a coin, raw or slabbed, is and always has been at the same risk.

PCGS is not on the hook for anything. Yes, they guarantee their grading. And they honor their guarantee. But when PCGS is the one and only one who can say that the coin is or is not over-graded - then what risk do they have ? What hook are they on ? All they have to do is say no the coin is not over-graded and they are off the hook.

15. sampson

sampson New Member

Ha ha I would love to drink the kool aid.... it's not slabbed, it bought off of my dealer who is a member with PCGS, he graded it MS68, it will get it out of my SDB this weekend and post a pic. I should send it in to be graded yeah?

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would second this. There were actually many collectors and dealers petitioning the government to ease restrictions. I remember the letters being published in 87 and 88 demonizing the Feds for not allowing coin investment in 401k's and IRAs. If anything, collectors were DEMANDING greater investments in coins be allowed.

17. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Wow, that's HEAVY money for something so subjective unslabbed.

In other news, it really is hard to find newer business-strike Jeffys in fantastic shape... scratches on the obv. fields are super-common... I've got 11 rolls of 2010P Jeffersons, if anybody wants to buy 'em and try their luck. :p

18. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Please do post the photo's of this co called MS68 . I agree with Ltrains statement .

19. statequarterguy

You make some good points in this post and I agree with most, except for the part above and I even agree with some of that, except about when the complaints started. You are probably correct, if you're talking complaints filed with the court. But, I'm referring to complaints within the collector/investor community when the grading standards tightened before the crash. I know I had conversations discussing how it was believed dealers where behind the grade tightening in an effort to do an "end around" to lower values without actually lowering the value of a stated grade. So, even though there may not have been complaints filed with the court, I believe the grade tightening was the beginning of the end.

20. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

You and alot of other people keep on forgetting that collecting coins began as a hobby, therefore the word investment should be non-related to the hobby. Sure everybody likes to get something back. But from where im standing I dont ever expect to get back what I paid. For instances if I buy a Peso for $200, I am expecting to get $200 worth of enjoyment from the coin........any gains that are acquired when its time to sell is the icing on the cake:thumb:

PLease dont take this is a bash toward you either. Im just trying to shine some light. Imagine the hobby if everybody was an investor.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Have you ever actually read what the grading standards were before they were changed ? And then compared them to the new standards ?

And based on your comments above you think that changing those standards was a bad thing ?

If you do, you are the one and only person I have ever heard of who does.

Draft saved Draft deleted