Is This Guy Nuts?!?! 2010-D Nickel, PCGS MS-68 Full Steps for $4,000?!?!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinmaster1, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

I think it is all relative to the collector.
    Relative to ones bank account and relative to ones interest in
    any given series.
    If a collector "A" has a couple million in his bank account, spending $4000.00
    on a coin would be like spending $400.00 on a coin would be to the Collector "B"
    with $50,000 in a bank account.

Just a thought.:cheers:

Then again my family questions my sanity constantly
    about my liking playing with shiny metal discs all the time LOL

Terry

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

what happens when you dont have a bank account?

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're mixing things up a bit. The 2 things you are talking about had nothing to do with each other.

The grade change - when MS65s became MS63s overnight. The decision to change the grading standards was made in 1986, when PCGS first opened its doors. Everybody in the numismatic hobby agreed that the change needed to be made, including the ANA. And so they changed the standards, they made them considerably more strict.

The other issue, when the bottom fell out of the coin market, that happened in 1989 which was several years after the grade change. And the change in grades had absolutely nothing to do with the market tanking.

Yes, there was a bubble. Yes that bubble was caused by Wall Street getting involved and creating securities made up out of coin indexes that could be bought and sold like stocks. Everybody thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But when the bubble reached a certain point that were no more greater fools - the bubble popped and people lost a fortune. Common date Morgans that had been selling for $1500 were suddenly only worth $150. The same was truth with all other coins, they basically lost 90% of their value in just a couple months. People who bought coins back then and still own them, well they are still down 60% or more on their purchases which means the coins even today are only worth 40% of what they paid for them.

But again - that had absolutely nothing to do with the change in grading standards.

5. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Well I remember talking to people that bought ms65 Morgans at inflated prices and the first huge decline in their value was the grade change. Then, having been burnt, everyone ran from the market, causing further declines through the rest of the decade. No doubt dealers and Wall St. where behind the inflated prices. I don't think you can say the change in grades had nothing to do with the decline.

6. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I should make it clear. I don't agree that it is wise to pay $4K for the coin in the OP. There are certainly a few other MS68 FS 2010-D Jefferson Nickels out there and the set price is clearly an attempt to exploit registry fever. Posted by Lehigh .

Wow, I thought earlier on you were advocating for the Sellers Price Tag , partly due to the fact that it is the Highest Graded example , combined with the fact that it is a Registry set piece somehow was a justification for that Price Tag. So we can agree that it is horribly over priced. I agree with you , the piece should retail for say $1,000.00 or just slightly higher. That makes more sense to me Paul.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would think this sentence should buyers of MS70's a pause, huh?

On the issue of 65's, they fell further than $150. I bought some at $85 a piece, and I bet they would grade higher today if they were broken out and resubmitted now. I agree that late 80's and 90's had stricter grading than now, but early 80's was loose.

8. GDJMSP

Of course I can because the records are quite clear. Take a look at the chart below -

[​IMG]

Clearly the market started upward in 1983. The changes in the grading standards occurred in 1986, but as you can plainly see the market continued its meteoric climb just like nothing happened through all of '86, '87 and '88. It was only in '89 that the bubble popped. Which was 3 years after the changes.

I will repeat - the grading changes had nothing to do with the collapse in prices and it is proved by that chart.

9. GDJMSP

If you had been around here longer you would know that I am constantly warning about that. Of course it only refers to modern bullion coins & commems as there are no circulation coins graded MS70. But today most of them are worth only about 50% of what they were worth just a few years ago and I repeat that quite often. But it seems I am continually ignored.

No argument - that's why 65s from the early 80s became 63s of the late 80s.

10. medoraman

I know man, just throwing it out there for public consumption. I have been chiming in as well, but am ignored more easily than you should be.

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I was advocating that conditional rarities often times deserve what appears at first glance to be ridiculous price tags. This includes modern coins. The problem with this particular coin is that there is no established price history because the coin was just minted. As for the price, I stated that it should be worth at least $1K. That does not mean it would surprise me if the coin sold at auction for $2K or $3K. My reason for believing the $4K tag to be too high is based on a comparison of this conditional rarity to others within the Jefferson Nickel series. I would be more comforatable stating I have no idea what this coin is worth than to say it is horribly overpriced.

12. coinman0456

I agree. That was my initial objection as well . I would feel more comfortable seeing perhaps a 13-$1500.00 price tag . I seriously doubt any offer at this point in time would come close to $3,000.00
    Time will tell, it's way to early to tell how this piece will standup . Well I'm off to my A.N.A meeting. Ciao

13. statequarterguy

I see what the chart says and it doesn't disprove what I'm saying. The lowering of the Morgan grades did not immediately cause a mass exodus from the market. The changes in the standards were "slipped in" and the promotions continued. Initially an ms65 was still worth the market price, which was the dealers' argument, they weren't over priced. The problem was, one was no longer holding an ms65, now they had ms64's or ms63's, worth a fraction of what they paid and it took awhile for "investors" to realize they had been taken, especially the ignorant ones, then the mass exodus started. This scandal was so big and so wide spread, wiping out elderly retirees pensions that, correct me if I'm wrong, weren't there hearings and consumer protection legislation passed as a result?

You mentioned in a prior post that the grading standards were tightened because the whole community agreed it had to be done. Well that community was mostly dealers. And, that's what I remember too, the dealers were behind the changes because there was no way they were going to buy back all those Morgans sold at ms65 prices.

Now, my point to all this is, it's extremely risky to pay huge premiums for minute differences in grade, when the grading standards keep changing, especially when it's pretty much agreed they're loose right now. Regardless of how long a change takes to affect the overall market, if ever, the ones who bought a high grade, only to have it lowered will lose big time.

14. Lehigh96

The chart does disprove what you are saying. You don't seem to understand what happened in the 80's. Prior to 1986, the grading of coins was done by primarily by dealers and telemarketing corporations, many of which were blatantly over-grading raw coins. BU (or worse) coins were being passed off as MS65's with incredible frequency. And yes, there was a governmental investigation that took place. The people who were duped during this time were not knowledgeable collectors nor were they big time investors. They were small investors with little numismatic knowledge. I liken them to the people today who buy their coins from the TV coin shows and think they are getting a good deal. These people lost their money but it was not because the market crash of 1989. They were destined to lose money because they were sold MS63 coins at MS65 prices and they didn't know any better.

In 1986, PCGS was formed and revolutionized coin grading. What these unscrupulous dealers had been calling MS65 were now being graded as MS62-64 by PCGS. The arrival of the TPG's leveled the playing field for coin grading and created the opportunity for Wall Street investors. With the problem of subjectivity in coin grading seemingly solved, coins as an investment became a reality. Soon, the brokerage houses were offering their clients the opportunity to invest in professionally graded coins. Since the coins were graded, every coin would have already gone through the grade lowering process. The Wall Street investors were not buying raw MS65's that were actually MS63's. They were buying professionally graded MS65's that were still MS65's after the market crashed in 1989. The difference is that they now owned an MS65 that was worth a fraction of what they paid for it. The coin was the same coin with the same grade, just worth a whole lot less.

Remember that this flurry of Wall Street money into the coin market was also spurred by the stock market crash in October of 1987. Investors who had been burned by the stock market were looking for new avenues to invest and the coin market was new and ripe. The incredible rise in the market was due solely to the influx of big time Wall Street money and the hype that went along with the process. Eventually the investment bubble broke and the market crashed. Again, it had nothing to do with grade lowering or conditional rarities.

I understand your point that it is risky to pay huge premiums for conditional rarities, but with respect, that is an opinion. Until you can provide us with factual evidence of higher volatility with respect to conditional rarities, my opinion will differ from yours. Furthermore, we are talking about coins graded by TPG's. The grades are guaranteed by the TPG's. If a 2010-D MS68 FS Jefferson Nickel becomes an MS67 at some point in the future, the TPG must compensate for the loss. Now that doesn't mean they will make up the entire loss, but it does mitigate the apparent risk.

I know that many people believe that the TPG's standards fluctuate significantly, including Doug. In my experience, the fluctuations are negligible and are more a result of gradeflation as a result of the inherent subjectivity of the grading process than a conscious change in standards on the part of the TPG. I have pontificated on this subject at length in the past and would prefer not to revisit it. It is much more fun to agree with Doug! LOL!

15. statequarterguy

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree. Most of the Morgans involved in the scandal that I read about were slabbed. Coin World was filled with articles discussing how the grading standards had changed, which was the reason why slabbed Morgans were now worth less. ANACS was around prior to 1986 and if PCGS was involved, maybe the standards tighten further after 1986. I don’t hear anything about early pcgs slabs being conservatively graded as are the later green labels. So, the problem was not only over graded coins, it was a real change in standards. Although there may be other factors that contributed to the 1989 crash, the chart does not rule out the grading standard changes, as it took time for it to affect the market. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible for a scandal that big not to affect the market. Wait for the next one to break to see what I mean.

Now, there have been and will continue to be real grading standard changes within the TPG'ers. Take for example pcgs's green labels, these coins are definitely graded more conservatively that later issues.

As for any guarantees, they're only as good as long as the company is in business. If another scandal, equivalent to the Morgan scandal breaks, I doubt many, if any TPG'ers will survive.

16. Lehigh96

Okay, I will agree to disagree.

PCGS OGH's have that reputation of being graded more conservatively. And even though this coin has a Gold CAC sticker, I don't think it looks at all out of place in an MS65FB holder.

[​IMG]

Here is a newer PCGS MS66FB for comparison.

[​IMG]

Both NGC and PCGS have paid out millions of dollars under their respective grade guaranty programs. Fantasy scenarios won't change that fact.

17. statequarterguy

Hope you're right, but there's always a fantasy scenario that could do a company in - no company is immune. Just fantasizing, but what if a class action were filed (and won) finding one of the big ones consorted with a big TV marketer - that sounds potentially fatal. Of course I'm not saying that's what's happening, but you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the motivation to produce when big money is at stake. I would imagine any one of the big TPG'er's potential liability under their guarantees is astronomical. I don't know, are there any reserve requirements to cover potential claims? If not, it's not if, it's when, in a "hobby" like this that operates on P.T. Barnum principals.

18. GDJMSP

statequarterguy - you really need to get your facts straight. I don't know, maybe it was the article that you say you read that was wrong - but either they were or you are. Here are some facts, pay particular attention to the dates.

On July 20,1989 in an FTC Press Release “FTC FILES CHARGES AGAINST COIN CERTIFICATION CO. AND COIN WHOLESALER; COMPANIES TO PAY CONSUMER REDRESS”. The coin certification company that they are referring to is NCI, Numismatic Certification Institute, owned by Steve Ivy and James Halperin. NCI’s affiliate, Heritage Capital Corporation, was also charged. “Under the settlement, the companies and two individuals agreed to a permanent injunction, and Heritage and NCI agreed to contribute $1.2 million into a consumer redress plan...” FTC File No. 882-3208, Civil Action No. 89-1383 CIV-NESBITT), www.ftc.gov, Barron’s, 6/19/89, pp.16-32.

On August 17,1990 the FTC issued a press release regarding PCGS. “FTC CHARGES COIN CERTIFICATION CO. MISREPRESENTS OBJECTIVITY OF ITS COIN GRADING SERVICES; COMPANY AGREES TO SETTLEMENT” The FTC charged that “PCGS misled consumers by falsely claiming that it provides consistent, objective grading of coins and that investment in PCGS-certified rare coins eliminates all the risk associated with the grading of coins.” PCGS/David Hall was charged and placed on probation for 2 years. Civil Action No. 90-1982, www.ftc.gov, New York Times, 8/17/90 p.D2, The Wall Street Journal, 8/17/90, pp.C1,C12.

These are the actual lawsuits that occurred - and when they occurred. And you will please notice that each one of them took place AFTER the coin market collapse. Like you said, these suits came about because people, ordinary people, lost a ton of money. And in each case mentioned above the reasons for the suits are explained.

Now, there was one other lawsuit about this time, but a bit earlier. And it is this one that I think you must have read about. But it involved 1 company that most of you have never even heard of. And the suit came about because it was alleged that the company over-graded coins. The suit was initiated in 1987 and did not come to a close until 1990.

This is the company that continued to ignore the change in grading standards. This is the company that continued to over-grade coins. But it was the only company that did so and it had absolutely zero impact on the coin market. The suit was also the end of the company.

On February 9,1990 the FTC issued the following Press Release, ”SPECIAL COUNSEL APPOINTED AT REQUEST OF FTC RECOVERS ADDITIONAL FUNDS FOR CONSUMERS IN RARE COIN COMPANY BANKRUPTCY.”.The release states, ”Today’s additional settlements bring total recovery in excess of $4 million.” “In February 1987, the FTC brought suit against Standard Financial Management Corp., charging, among other things, that the company falsely represented that its coins were of a specific grade, when in many cases the coins were of a significantly inferior grade...

Shortly after the FTC suit, the Special Counsel initiated bankruptcy proceedings and brought various actions against several principals and suppliers of Standard Financial Management Corp. He has succeeded in obtaining settlements from supplier Kevin Lipton and former Standard Financial owner James Halperin for $1.4 million and $1.3 million, respectively.” FTC File No. X870002, www.ftc.gov.

19. medoraman

However, I would just state to Lehigh that investing in high end coins IS riskier than low end coins. If you look at the coins making up the graph Doug likes to post, they are mostly very high end grades, that is why the collapse was greater in 1989 for those coins than what I was collecting at the time. I collected XF 19th century halves and literally did not see prices go down for those. Financially, highly graded coins have a higher beta than traditional collector coins, (VF large cents as an example). A higher beta means they will go up more in a up market, but will go down more in a down market percentage wise. While I will not say buying high beta coins is bad if you believe the market is going up, by definition higher betas correlate to higher risk. It literally IS in the definition of beta.

So in that regard Statequarterguy is completely correct. Again, I never said risk was bad, but it is higher risk technically.

20. coinman0456

Well, it looks as if the seller had not hooked a buyer in . Lots of banter happened with this thread , and it wasn't all for nothing . Some very interesting opinions and perspectives of historical events. In the end, only time will tell how this nickel is perceived by the Collector Community.

21. Lehigh96

I really think that applying beta coefficient to this conversation will do more to confuse it than clarify it. However, comparing the beta of circulated coins to uncirculated coins has really no bearing on the conversation.

Statequarterguy is claiming that conditional rarities are much more risky than the grade right below it. The volatility in the coin market in the late 80's was generated by the influx of Wall Street money into investment grade certified coins. In general, these coins were common coins like Morgan Dollars that were graded MS65. To my knowledge, the Wall Street brokerage houses were not selling the conditional rarities to their clients. As a result common date MS65 Morgan Dollars and the like exploded in price during this time. The coniditional rarities increased in price as well as the entire coin market rose. But I would bet that the highest volatility existed in the coins that were being sold through the brokerage houses which were common date MS65's.

Until I see evidence to the contrary that shows that conditional rarities lost a high percentage of their peak value than the common material during the crash of 1989, my opinion will remain unchanged.

Draft saved Draft deleted