Is this from a cracked die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jinxe, May 30, 2020.

?

Is this a mint error or circulation damage?

1. Mint error

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Damage

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

super new at this so go easy on me! Recently got into error coins, and I found quite a few interesting ones, but this one I though was pretty cool! Found in circulation, this 2004p Wisconsin has extra metal on the obverse side that is raised from the 2nd “T” in “STATES” that leads down to Washington’s crown.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Welcome to the forum. It looks like glue or some other foreign substance stuck on the coin to me.

Jinxe likes this.
  4. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

Thank you! I thought so too, but I tried to kinda scrape it off and it’s just metal. I can try to take a better picture.

5. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

I personally would like a better pic. Try placing the coin on regular printer paper, and turning your flash off, and changing your settings to the highest resolution. Also clean you lens before taking the pic. A lot of people don't realize how many times they touch their camera lens. But anywho Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

6. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

Sure that’s no problem! I’ll actually use my camera, for better quality. The more I look at it, the more confused I get on how the metal got like that. It’s so cool haha

7. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow could not say with those pictures. They need to be zoomed in a bit more. Sometimes taking pics with the light source from certain angles will help highlight the area of interest better.

2manyhobbies likes this.
  8. 2manyhobbies

I couldn't agree more meow. Jinxe also take atleast 3 pics from slightly different angles and post the best.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes to needing a few better photos from different angles.

10. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

I hope these are better! Thank you so much for helping guys :)

Attached Files:

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. For best responses all up loaded photos should be FULL IMAGE (after uploading the image click on Full Image) so members can easily enlarge and examine the coin. The coin should be cropped to show only the coin with as little (neutral color) background as possible. It should be in focus, correctly orientated, full obverse and reverse and then closeups of any areas of question. Having full front and back, and sometimes edge, even if the question is about just one side, is helpful in some cases.

2manyhobbies likes this.
  12. 2manyhobbies

Is the anomaly raised above the field? The first pic looks incused, the second looks raised and the third looks incused again. Not sure!

13. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

Thank you for the advice Mountain Man! 2many, at first I thought it was raised, but upon close inspection is seems like it might be sort of a slash into it. Really weird and hard to see lol

14. Marites Foertsch

Marites Foertsch Honey bunch

Welcome there’s few people here likes to use strong words so be ready yourself just kidding.anyway it looks damage to me and it’s a dry old gum that sticks on the letter sorry but keep posting sweetie....

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Jinxe likes this.
  15. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

You’re so sweet! Upon further inspection it looks like it’s a weird crack or something. But I’m so thankful for everyone’s comments and advice! :) I’ll be posting a 1942 wheat penny I found today with what looks like a minting error in the date.

Marites Foertsch likes this.
  16. Marites Foertsch

Okay I will buy if I like . Sometimes there nice if you are new but when they get tired or annoyed that’s the time you can hear lol but keep posting I just give you a little preparation for yourself joke! In my experience maybe your not that annoying like me hugs sweetie and smile !

Jinxe likes this.
  17. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

Awesome! Thank you so much for your kind words! I just posted the new thread, I hope the pictures are good enough, it’s such a cool error!

18. Marites Foertsch

I have to wait the expert opinion then I will get it. But I’m sure you gonna love CT like I am there’s lots of guys here super helpful nice and very understanding...

Diogenes Diaz and Jinxe like this.
  19. Jinxe

Jinxe New and curious

So far I’ve been very happy with everyone’s advice, I’m definitely enjoying myself :)

Marites Foertsch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted