Is this fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seascape, May 17, 2021.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I have one (1788) in my collection, will try to dig it out this afternoon after I get back from the botanic garden and share it for comparison.

Apparently I also have a 1792 as well (first place I looked, which was the easiest place to check, was my 1700's non-silver bin.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

As promised, here is my example - hope it helps:

Barbados - 1788 1 Penny.jpg

4. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Well I must admit this is my first encounter with a fake. It's pretty deflating actually. One thing I appreciate about my LCS. I may pay a little more but only sometimes...however I am paying them to take this out of the equation so I just enjoy my hobby I guess.

So this set me back a couple days. Luckily I didn't buy it. Came close though. I get really invested in these buys...whereas if I am not at work I am looking at examples and researching. It's the only thing that stops me from thinking about my job. Some take 2 days some take a month. The 1944 Escudo I just bought took 3 weeks!

But anyhow I think I have this one figured out. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 others anyhow.

Plus I am dabbling in my next project a little...stay posted.

Again thanks everybody for all your help.

5. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Well I bought this example. I can't capture the other seller pic for some reason. But I'm happy with it. I'm gonna work on some Bogata for the rest of the week than start looking more serious at some 1792 Barbados penny. 39_4ae631f9-544d-4289-9866-047a6351046d_c.jpg

Muzyck, Hiddendragon and William F like this.
  6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I think that, condition wise, it's maybe the best Barbados penny I've ever seen. Which alone is enough to make me suspicious.

I'm much more comfortable with the one you bought.

7. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Supposedly from 1788 but there's not a mark on it. No dings, no scratches - the fields are perfect. That and a seller telling me to hurry up is all the information I would need to give it a swerve, whether my suspicions were right or not. :)

8. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I thought the same thing. Plus, the patina is consistent with other Chinese fakes, a sort of greasy blotchy mess haphazardly distributed across the fields.

Draft saved Draft deleted