Is this fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seascape, May 17, 2021.

1. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

I have no legitimate reason to think it's not other than it's good condition and slight low price. For some reason I'm suspicious. 1 weird message from seller asking me to hurry up with my offer through ebay...which I can't do because it's auction only.

But some of you guys are better at detecting fakes. Whatta you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seascape

4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

What does the other side look like?

5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I like pineapples,don't know if its fake but I would be suspicious about it.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The incurable idiot, and skeptic, in me says they didn't make stuff like this back in 1788, but heck........I don't know. The pics look too pristine for something manufactured in the 'day'.

Hookman likes this.
  7. Seascape

Other side. s-l400-28.jpg

Antonius Britannia likes this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I'd avoid it like the plague.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

10. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Idk...I bid on a "too-good-to-be-true" 1773 Virginia Halfpenny and NGC graded it MS62. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and hope for the best. Every purchase is a learning experience. I would compare it to known examples first. Here's a reference I found...

https://coins.nd.edu/colcoin/ColCoinIntros/Barbados.intro.html

Edit: I can't match it up with any of the known die varieties...so I would pass. The headdress plumes don't look right at all.

Barbados.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  11. Seascape

I asked for a pic of it on a scale.

12. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I looked at the other items he's selling, I don't like it that almost all pictures are shot low light/ dark.

13. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I'm getting bad vibes with this one, definitely would pass...

Antonius Britannia likes this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

"Don't believe everything a seller tells you on the Internet" -Abraham Lincoln

15. Antonius Britannia

Antonius Britannia Well-Known Member

The pineapple is out off shape. It doesn't match well with existing known dies. Fake.

16. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

1788 barbados 1 penny.jpg I know you got a lot of opinions already but for what it's worth I don't think it looks good either. It doesn't look crude enough for me. Here's a picture of mine.

17. Hiddendragon

Here's one thing I can put my finger on. If you look at mine and all the others in that pic someone else posted, you can see the diamonds on the pineapple kind of go up and down. The one in your picture is more left to right.

18. Seascape

I like that one. I'm looking at a couple others that are more in line with yours.

Also this guy has good feedback but it's all him buying. He doesn't sell much....at least not on that account. I'll see if he provides a pic on a scale. If not I have a few others I am starting to like anyhow...so stay tuned!

19. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Based on some of the other items (clearly fake) that the seller had up for sale, I would have taken a pass.

20. Seascape

I didn't really look at his other items...just that he had some other coins. I guess it's a wrap now. I will pick another example.

Thanks everyone for the help.

21. Hiddendragon

Not to pile on but the seller seems to be in Russia assuming I found the right auction. It's a stereotype that Russian sellers often sell fakes, but unfortunately there's truth behind it.

Draft saved Draft deleted