Is this FAKE ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by x115, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

the only reason I said that is, because I send coins to pcgs, sometimes 2 of the same coin, and they both come back graded the same, with the same numbers and submission number to, and both graded, ms-67, so it can happen

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

your right sir, I just checked my coins, and they have different numbers

4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Good catch! You'd think they would know enough to at least get the stars right when creating the dies for the fake.
    Hope this doesn't ruin the hobby. Pretty frightening.

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

This particular seller specializes in antiques, not coins, with only one other slabbed coin listed. I believe he was a victim in this case also... but that doesn't excuse him from unknowingly selling a fake. I believe we'll see more and more of this type of auction, as large volumes of "replicas" make their way through the populace.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Well, eBay pulled it. I hope the buyer did not get stuck in the middle.

7. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Pulled it? I thought it sold yesterday.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

They can retract/cancel it even after it sold. They used to do it all the time.

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

You're right there rlm's , I once won a contempory fake Bust half , I won the auction but ebay wouldn't let them give it to me even though I knew it was a fake .

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

To
    to anyone who really studies and collects early dollars (my favorite coins) the wrongness jumps out at you to any novice and even a serious collector who doesn't know the series well it could easily fool you there's other series of coins I could easily be taken by a sophisticated fake without viewing in hand this is the one I know best though :)

11. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I learned something today!! Where are you seeing the retraction/cancellation?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

When an auction ends as sold, you get a listing that says sold. When a seller ends it early or it does not sell, you get a listing that says ended. The only way to get a blank, no results, or something other than "sold" or "ended" is when eBay pulls the auction (or it is too old). I am sure the buyer received an email telling him not to pay for it.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It may not excuse him, but we really can't blame the guy any more or less than we would a collector who did the same. It's very possible that he bought it because of the apparent certification, which is the same reason many collectors will purchase; he believed it real and this is an unfortunate reality today.

Every buyer with the internet has the option to use a knowledgeable dealer who will stand behind the coins they sell, just as every collector has the ability to question how much they truly know about the coins they wish to purchase. If a person who is honest with themselves about their ability to identify counterfeits, problems, etc still chooses to buy from an unknown, or from someone who clearly does not regularly deal in coins, it is their decision and they've only themselves to blame if things do not go well. I hate to say this because it does bother me to see people burned, but it is a reality of the game. This gentleman, who clearly did not have the necessary knowledge to do so safely, still chose to buy and likely learned a hard, but not uncommon lesson. He was a victim of his own poor choices.

rzage and jloring like this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Links, which often disappear, do little good in the long run or for late readers, so it is always best if photos are presented. Your efforts are surely appreciated.

NOS likes this.
  15. rzage

The thing with pics from ebay they take them down in a couple of months , so unless you save them to your computer they will disappear when ebay takes them down .

NOS likes this.
  16. turnerj1

turnerj1 Member

17. rzage

I wish I knew the dollar series like I know the Bust half series . At 1st glance it looks ok . But I think it's legit . Answer is I don't know . Here's a pic of a real one .

Image View: Normal | Medium | Large

[​IMG]
    The one from ebay .

[​IMG]

NOS likes this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

19. Mainebill

It's wrong first giveaway for me is the lack of detail that doesn't look like legit wear it looks like a softly struck or poured coin the early dollars as a rule were crisply and well struck second the color is all wrong is dead and has no natural luster or toning as to the slab there's no way pcgs would grade that poorly of detailed coin xf45 or give it a non details grade with that color at a quick glance looks like a fine details that's been polished then acid dipped in other words a poured Chinese fake in a fake holder

20. Mainebill

The first coin (the real one) is a beauty by the way!!

21. Mainebill

Pretty soon they'll have Chinese fake coins at Walmart along with all the other Chinese crap they sell!!

Draft saved Draft deleted