Is this FAKE ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by x115, Sep 30, 2013.

1. x115

x115 Collector

beware this coin and slab appears to be fake. (thats only my opinion) but compare the ebay listing to a previous auction and you can see the difference.

First off the coin itself does not match the auction coin with the same cert #

second, the slab bar code is wrong. also there is no space after the comma in 9x7 stars, Large letters. and there should be.

ebay listing
    #mce_temp_url#

auction listing
    #mce_temp_url#

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. x115

x115 Collector

looks like someone just bought it.

4. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I think I agree with you. . . The space after the comma is definitely different between the two.

Hope it's not a scam. . . That's a huge price to pay if it is.:mad:

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Yep... I think you nailed it. Just a typical 8K Chinese fake, readily available for $2 with free shipping. In addition, this is the first time I've seen this for a payment option:

I would consider taking payment in silver or gold.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Maybe the buyer will pay him in fake gold pandas.

x115 likes this.
  7. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Definitely fake. Check out the font in the label. That plus the coin looks fake and nothing like the Heritage coin.
    One thing that was the most dead giveaway was the lack of space between "Stars,Large"[​IMG][​IMG]

rzage, Robert Paul and x115 like this.
  8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I reported it. Hopefully, they will still act one it. If anyone has some ins with PCGS, they might report it there also.

jello and x115 like this.
  9. x115

x115 Collector

It's unfortunate that these are getting out there.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys are good. Glad I collect moderns. Don't get skunked nearly as often..........

jello likes this.
  11. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

They are getting better too. These are fakes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Looks totally wrong too lady liberty is too big stars too small and as usual the hair detail weak yet not "naturally" worn my best advice for buyers of early dollars study real ones as much as you can look at auctions like ha as much as you can and best of all if you know a long time collector that's willing to share or show theirs take them up on their knowledge I'm always willing to compare notes with anyone in northern New England I learned as a boy from a couple older collectors and have never forgot some of their advice or what they had

green18 likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Gd good fakes tho their getting scary unless buying from a major auction or a reliable reputable dealer I won't buy without holding it in my hand anymore they've only got this good recently saw 3 1878 cc Morgan's that were near dead on except the color was off about 6 months ago looked just like genuine yet cleaned coins but something that I couldn't pinpoint was off my call sophisticated fakes

14. Mainebill

Only problem moderns don't appeal to me they lack the "soul" of early American coins I guess I was born too late I live in a house built in 1785 furnished with 18th c American furniture and collect the money used to pay for it originally

green18 likes this.
  15. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

You guys ARE good. I can't afford that but it is nice to know people are out there watching what is going on.
    Cazkaboom thanks for putting in the pictures, side by side.
    And it doesnot matter which forum I am looking at someone is always looking and making people aware of the fakes.
    Thanks to all of you that can spot them.

x115 likes this.
  16. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

No problem! That's why I am here for. Usually when a counterfeit slab thread comes up I try to get both images in. I've missed a few though.

x115 likes this.
  17. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Just incase nobody counted the stars ********x*******

(top one Fake) is 8X7 left side stars are spaced far apart,
    (bottom one Real) is 9X7 stars are almost touching each other.

The fake is really a obvious fake to someone who know the series.
    I did not catch it at first, but after studying the two coins.

torontokuba and x115 like this.
  18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

)(*&^&%$##@ Chinese!!!!! We have to get after our Congressmen to stop letting this junk into the USA . one guy stopped them from listing and bringing this junk into Canada
    Why can't we stop it . Lucky this was a bad fake , and I have educated myself against most fakes , but now we have to know slabs too . Knowledge is power .

Mainebill and Robert Paul like this.
  19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

But Ken now they're faking ASEs what's next modern commemoratives . I wouldn't put it past them .

20. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

This is only a suggestion, maybe they had 2 graded at the same time, thats why theres 2 different coins with the same numbers

21. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

That's not the way it works... every number is unique. In this case, not only is the slab obviously fake, but the coin is also.

rzage and Rick Stachowski like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted