Is this dime issue worth keeping? Ghost (S) on dime reverse.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CAB2, Jul 13, 2020.

1. CAB2

CAB2 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Probably Struck Through Grease issue. Compacted debris didn't allow the S to form properly when the Die struck the blank planchet.
    Nothing major.

CAB2 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Grease in that area. Very common.

CAB2 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you zoom in even closer, you might even see an "HIT" to the right of the "S".
    ~ Chris ;)

CAB2 likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Agree that it's a debris filled die error. These are considered minor and rarely add extra value, especially when circulation wear and tear is starting to make the coin look rough. Personally, I think these things are cool but I would probably spend a coin like yours due to condition. Nothing wrong with keeping it if you like. After all, it is a mint error. And no shame if gets thrown in the spare change jar.

CAB2 likes this.
  7. CAB2

CAB2 New Member

Thanks to all for replying. It’s a spender.

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

If you like these kinds of finds and think they are cool, then throw it in a 2x2 and put it in an album, because it makes YOU happy.

Just leave a note for the heirs - "When I'm gone and you find this, it's a book of errors with no value beyond face value that I kept because they made me happy. Don't expect you can buy a boat of any kind after you sell these."

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes to all above replies and it's a spender because of that nasty scratch if nothing else.

Draft saved Draft deleted