Is this criminal?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Herberto, May 25, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

No sir I am not. Simply a humble collector that happens to run a thriving business. I do sizable deals every day of my life and abhor the infringement of oversight in any area of my life or business. My business is MY business.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

So a political manifesto, then?

I will NEVER deal with ANY dealer who is NOT an ANA member. (or his nation's counterpart)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I see what you're saying. But... "big brother oversight", where every deal is monitored by some omniscient authority, isn't what anyone is suggesting.

But laws to "protect us from ourselves", that is, protect us from fraud? That's far from the "last thing we need".

Would you rather have food inspections, or "learn from your mistakes" via botulism and listeria? You always have the option of avoiding that supplier in the future -- assuming you can figure out which supplier sent the food to your grocery store. After you get out of the hospital.

Would you rather have building inspections, or "learn from your mistakes" when your kids' school collapses? I mean, nobody will deal with that builder again, so the problem will resolve itself, right?

5. Randy Abercrombie

No sir. I would not go that far. Just a hard working Joe that stands on his own two feet. And as long as we use oversight to protect the sheep from themselves, they too will never learn to stand on their own two feet. I believe our founding fathers would turn over in their graves at the complete infringement of control imposed over the every-mans lives in the 21st century.

Garlicus likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Neither are serious about weeding anyone out, unless that changes I put no weight in a dealer being members of either

7. V. Kurt Bellman

It's a fruitless argument, Jeff. You've latched onto a committed anarcho/libertarian. They'd rather everybody die quickly than compromise their little scam.

8. Randy Abercrombie

I'll put it this way. I can speak to exactly this scenario. I started my construction supply business in 1984. I specialize in new school projects. In 1984 we built first class schools under 10 million. Today 34 years later, we cannot build a small wing on a school for 10 million. The influence of added oversight has completely eliminated the use of good common sense. That is what oversight accomplishes.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

You're right as long as the advice they get from legal counsel is to avoid taking a position on anything, and make no mistake, THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Look, I like the current leadership STAFF of ANA like brothers, but they are so risk-averse right now so as to be useless. Mark Lighterman is the most risk-phobic man I've ever met in my life. I get it. The association has "deep pockets" and that makes them a ripe target for any shyster out there, but you have to take a stand SOMEWHERE.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a binary choice for the ANA - 1) do what your charter and rules say you do, and constantly be sued by aggrieved con men, or 2) hide in your little Colorado Springs "wussy castle" and stay out of court.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Me???? Serious????? Man, I am just a common sense fellow. I have absolutely no agenda here. All the pretty words aside... I just know what gets the job done. And protecting people from themselves does not get the job done.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Become ? It always has been.

That's just a tad too broad. There are plenty of good honest dealers out there who are not ANA members. And also plenty of unscrupulous dealers out there who are ANA members.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  12. baseball21

I get it too, but if they don't want to enforce it there is also a 3rd option. Just drop the whole dealer endorsement and code of ethics all together. Since it's meaningless and rarely if ever enforced just get out of the game entirely and stop letting people waive that flag like it somehow makes them your trustworthy best friend

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Right now, it's with impunity.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, they at least decided to have a formal review and hearing about Dan Carr's stuff and they "stuffed" RWB's gripe back down his fat ugly cat-hating throat. Made me cheer.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

True, but if I get screwed by an ANA dealer, I have the procedure AND the know-how to file a formal complaint, AND I have the knowledge of how to proceed to get Holly Wieland (ANA in-house counsel) to take my complaint seriously. I frankly don't care if Mark Lighterman (Parliamentarian) rubs his hands raw from all the hand-wringing he'll do. Mark's a sweet guy, but afraid of his own shadow.

16. baseball21

I’m glad that was dismissed too but I would consider Dan a small fish in the dealer sea. When’s the last time they had one against a bigger fish?

The other thing too is even if the dealer is supposed to abide by their penalty finding it seems like they could always just say I’m not doing that and turn in their ANA membership

17. V. Kurt Bellman

They do LOTS of mediations, all out of public view. Almost all disputes are settled there. A few years ago I was told that over 99% of disputes never go past the letter writing stage.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Saaaayyyyy...

Roger Burdette is giving a talk on the Peace dollar tomorrow at the big annual Raleigh Money Expo.

I saw today that Roger has a table reserved, although he wasn't there today.

I wonder if he'll be selling tomorrow?

I wonder if he'll be buying tomorrow?

And if he is, I wonder what sort of offer he might make for a nice high-grade Carr "Broken Sword" overstrike?

It never would have occurred to me if I hadn't seen this post and been reminded of that dust-up. But now, I can't seem to think of anything else. Hmm... :rage: :troll: :angelic:

19. baseball21

Please do it lol. Or have him sign your Carr COA

20. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

It was this lot that caused me to ask the question:

https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/ams/browse?a=291&c=4574&l=267512

Firstly, this is not Justinian, but Justin II. But that is not the problem, as a tremissis of Justinian and Justin II has the same value.

The real problem was that this coin was not minted in Constantinople as the seller has listed it. It was minted in Ravenna. Ravenna-gold are 5x or 10x more expensive than Constantinople-gold. Any byzantine-collectors know it.

Gold coins minted in Constantinople and Ravenna have the same portrait so an untrained eye will not see a difference. But a Byzantine-collector would easily detect it by seeing the details. Ravenna Gold has heavy annular border at the flan, and also the design is like it has been stuck by a bee. Difficult to explain with words, but the point is that a trained eye can easily distinguish golds of Ravenna from Constantinople.

I “lost” the bid as I was not so keen on that. But 360 Euro plus fee is still a bargain for a Tremissis of Ravenna. If I was a coin-dealer I would bid higher in order to make profit. But that was not my intention.

So IF I had won that coin, and I paid, and the coin arrived to me, could the seller demand it back? – Probably not.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You are correct, once you paid for it and received it, it is yours (unless it turns out to be stolen). He could demand it back, but you would be under no obligation to return it.

Draft saved Draft deleted