Is this coin real? And if so, who is it? Thx

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

This coin looks odd to me in the sense that there are these weird divits. Normally when I see wear on coins it looks like copper/brass being moved, but these almost look like spots?

Who is the person on the coin, thanks! IMG_20190115_171355048.jpg IMG_20190115_171446461.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Xodus, It loos like a Roman provincial coin, maybe Antioch? The person looks very young, maybe an emperors son. Diameter & weight would help.

Justin Lee and Xodus like this.
  4. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Thanks Al! I was thinking maybe elagabalus or caracalla? In Antioch Syria would make sense..

The coin is AE18 :) I don't have a scale, sorry.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Probably Diadumenian from Anitoch like the one below.
    pn1670bb2407.jpg

PeteB, Roman Collector, Bing and 5 others like this.
  6. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Great, thanks guys!! That looks like a pretty cool coin then.

7Calbrey likes this.
  7. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Xodus likes this.
  8. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

On the observe it says AYKM or AVKM.. I couldn't find one that matched?

9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Maybe someone on CT have the reference book of McAlee “the coin of roman antioch”. It could help you to get more details on your coin.

Xodus likes this.
  10. Al Kowsky

Ocatarinetabellachitchix, McAlee lists only two small bronze coins with a left facing bust of Diadumenian, on page 283, #749 & 750, & it appears to be the same type coin as in Doug Smith's collection (#749). The McAlee example is superior to Doug Smith's coin but there is no doubt they're the exact same type, & is listed as (Ex. Rare) :jawdrop:! It might pay for Xodus to send his coin to NGC along with the picture of Doug Smith's coin & see if they'll slab it, the least expensive tier of slabbing that is.

11. VDB

VDB Active Member

Impressive match up. Looks like that’s definitely it!

12. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Bing likes this.
  13. Al Kowsky

Xodus, I found both of these coin types illustrated in AcAlee's book exactly where coinproject.com referenced them. The top coin is superior to AcAlee's example & the bottom example is inferior to McAlee's example. You have to understand that many of these small bronzes are difficult to attribute with complete certainty so a cautionary approach is necessary. coinproject.com is an important & valuable tool to use ;).

Xodus likes this.
  14. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Thanks Al! It would be great if we could get all these nice references out there on the same page to share in the best pictures as well. I know I've come across several on Wildwinds.com that have wretched pictures and make it hard to determine if it's a match. Is there someone already doing this?

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's hard to do that because things are ever-changing and the information to be covered is so vast. There are several threads on CoinTalk which have some collected links and info. Here's one such thread:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-coins-beginners’-faq-thread.324858/

I don't think coinproject is mentioned there although it is certainly a good resource. I don't think it is being actively updated though. I sent some unlisted coins for inclusion several years ago and never heard back nor were they included. I still use the resource somewhat regularly though, often just for the handy chronological list of Roman Imperial emperors/empresses/other:

http://www.coinproject.com/roman_imperial2.php

There are other such chronological lists but this one is nicely compact.

Xodus likes this.
  16. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Thanks so much TIF. I like that list and some of those resources are brand new to me. I'll check them out after work :)

TIF likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Considering my coin was $6, I can't see spending anything to get one slabbed but we know we don't agree on that one. Being extremely rare does not make a coin worth $25. The demand for uncertainly identifiable, unattractive coins is not that great. Looking closer, I don't see the coin and mine being the same. Mine starts KAI C M but the Xodus coin looks like AVK M so might be Elagabalus. Am I imagining a trace of eagle at the bottom and a delta over the S? I know there are people who love to ID ghost coins. I don't claim to be good at it.

Xodus likes this.
  18. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I thought it was Elagabalus (see pics above), but the ones I found on CoinProject all start with AYT. Do you know another resource I could find ones that say AVK or AYK ? Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted