Is this coin fake?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, May 25, 2016.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Did you happen to notice the surfaces (hint, hint) or do a little homework before deciding to not only label it a "fake", but drag the seller's name into this?

4. Omegaraptor

The surfaces look real. It's the lettering on the obverse that makes me suspicious.

5. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you are correct @Omegaraptor the lettering is clearly more narrow and the 888's are way too thin as well.

I don't imagine your seller is trying to defraud anyone and I don't think the coin was made to deceive. I bet it is something like an old game token of spurious nature....? Actually I'm not sure why they would replicate such a common coin.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Omegaraptor likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

Look again.... see anything about the coin that could possibly explain your concerns?

7. Omegaraptor

Disclaimer: I fully appreciate this seller's efforts, I just think he/she put up a fake coin unknowingly.

I don't know why such a common coin would be faked though. Probably some kind of game token.

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Poor photo of a corroded ground find is what I suspect.

Edit: Heck its only $11 buy it and post better pictures :chicken:

Omegaraptor likes this.
  9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

It doesn't look right to me more like it was treated in acid. It could be a contemporary counterfeit too I'd need better pics

Omegaraptor likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

For some reason I don't think the seller will appreciate your (lack of) effort....

So you're going to stand by your assessment instead of trying to explain how such a thing could occur on a genuine coin?

11. Omegaraptor

OK, here's the diagnostics:
    1. The shape of the tip of the bust is just incorrect. That part of the design should be smooth, even if a real coin looked like this.
    2. The 8s in the date look too tall and narrow, not to mention the top of the 1 doesn't look right.
    3. The denticles are way too close to the edge.

I'm sorry, but this many red flags just makes me doubt this coin's authenticity.

12. BooksB4Coins

In response....

1. Is there anything that could've happened to a genuine coin that would cause this?

2. Hmm.. I wonder if, perhaps, something could have happened to a genuine coin to cause this?

3. Just going out on a limb here, but I bet, if one searched, ahem, really hard (wink, wink - hint, hint) and did so with an open mind, they could find examples of genuine coins displaying the very same characteristics.

You're certainly welcome to doubt a coin's (or any coin's) authenticity, or base your views solely upon questionable conjecture, but when that doubt turns into a public accusation of doing something viewed as one of the greatest sins of this hobby, you, with all due respect, better be damn sure you're right.

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no one can tell with those crummy pictures

coinzip likes this.
  14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is a pretty good start towards rationality. The images are tilted, and as such unreliable for determining sizes, shapes and spatial relationships. Macro photography distorts perspective greatly.

Fake? Yeah, probably, but there's nothing conclusive here.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

One of these things is not like the other...One of these things just doesn't belong....
    :)
    s-l500.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'm with Mr. Books. A corroded whizzed coin can look just like this - that's why the deformities being pointed out. Me: 100% genuine!

...and it's an 1888/7!!!

NOT.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::troll:

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

No one just did. ;)

18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm with @Mainebill. I think it's been in some acid. That would account for both the corrosion and the funny looking devices.

19. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

20. Omegaraptor

I might do this with Seated coins. Great guide.
    I know easily when a date is altered on a Seated coin. I've heard of 1858-O dimes being altered to look like 1853-O No Arrows, but they are easy to detect as the shape of the date is different on the 1858 than on the 1853.

21. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I appreciate you pointing out the dangers of people claiming coins are fakes when they do not know for sure... BUT... that is not what he did here. He simply ASKED if anyone else thought it looked suspicious. Very big difference here. He was not stating it was fake, etc. That is one of the great thing about coin boards.. getting to ask questions about coins, and gain knowledge. I think the coin looks weird too, but as it has been pointed out, it could be genuine, and just damaged.

Draft saved Draft deleted