Is this Caligula a good deal to any of you ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tobiask, May 13, 2015.

1. tobiask

tobiask Well-Known Member

I was browsing Vcoins, and came across this Caligula.
    I have 6 emperrors, none of whom are very popular to most collectors, all under 100 $.

For Caligula and the condition, would anybody spend 200 $ on this one ?
    Could i expect to find one just like it for less in the southern US ??

RBw7yH3f6eZoPGx98nMErT5y47LgjF.jpg

WDF, swamp yankee, Eng and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

God no, way overpriced for that condition. Some of those types can be found for $100-$150 in better shape. Usually its ebay but some dealers on VC will list better types cheaper, just have to be quick.

And dont be afraid of Caligula Provincials, they can be even cheaper.

Okidoki likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Mat is right. That coin is worth maybe $50-$75, and I wouldn't want it at that price either since you can do much better with this common type. Check out this CNG page for comparison.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    beef1020, Okidoki and tobiask like this.
  5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

caligula-vesta-hh.jpg

Gaius Caligula AE As. 37-8 AD. 9.7g, 27mm

OBV: C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, Bare head left.

REV: VESTA above, S C across field, Vesta seated left, holding patera and sceptre.

REF: RIC 38, Cohen 27.

I paid $35 for mine and it's low grade, lower than yours. Still, I would not pay that much for your coin. If you're patient you can probably find one better for the same price if you're willing to pay that much.

Congratulations on getting 6 emperors. Which ones do you have right now?

I just celebrated my 100th Roman ruler including wives, children, friend,etc. Took me 3 1/2 years to get that many. Here is my Tantalus grid.

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid288.php

WDF, Eng, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

are you looking for that particular coin tobiask or do you just want any caligula?

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Caligula coins can be expensive for two reasons. One, most people have heard of him and his depravities and two, he is one of the first 12 Caesars which many people try to put together in a collection. A Caligula in silver or gold and in decent condition will set you back a pretty penny. Here is one of mine:
    Caligula 4.jpg
    CALIGULA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: C CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR POT, bare head right
    REVERSE: DIVVS AVG PATER PATRIAE, radiate head of Divus Augustus right
    Struck at Lugdunum, 37/8AD
    3.5g, 18mm
    RIC I 10

It's rather porous and does not fit well on the flan, but itset me back a lot more than I like to think about.

dlhill132, WDF, Eng and 9 others like this.
  8. Craig Z

Craig Z Member

You mind telling what you paid for that coin Bing?

9. John Anthony

Probably $50. He was feeling crazy that day. :p

Craig Z and tobiask like this.
  10. Bing

Well, I would be glad to, except my computer crashed about two months ago and I lost most everything including much of my catalog. I have been trying to reconfigure everything, but much is lost for good including the price for this coin. From memory, I will say I paid $400-$600, but don't tell anyone. If this gets out my reputation as a budget bottom feeder will be ruined.

tobiask, WDF, Craig Z and 3 others like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... I paid $350 US (delivered) for my Caligula AE As ...

caligula a.jpg caligula b.jpg

"better in hand" ... yah, everybody says that, eh? (happily, in this particular case I'm tellin' the truth!!)

Oh => and just in case, I sent it to David Sear's California ranch for a play-date (it passed with flying colours!!)

:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    dlhill132, WDF, Eng and 7 others like this.
  12. tobiask

tobiask Well-Known Member

I am interested in any caligula as long as it has his portrait on it.. 100 $ or less

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There is no decent portrait Caligula under $100 except for the Vesta asses. His sestertii get very pricey and fakes abound. There are a few Provincials but most are crude looking nothing like him. The good news is that there are a million Vesta asses out there so you can pick your level. I harbor two. The first is more worn with smooth surfaces while the second is rough but, technically, higher grade with less wear. No one would pay more than a quarter as much for the rough one. However, the current selection on vCoins is pretty terrible and the one you posted may be the best deal of that bunch. I'd wait and see if something better turns up in a year or so. Patience is a virtue when collecting these things.

re1000b02306alg.JPG re1005bbbbbb.jpg

dlhill132, WDF, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  14. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Done, I knew you were not really a bottom feeder!!!

Mikey Zee, Bing and tobiask like this.
  15. Ancientnoob

Here is mine. I got it in a trade!
    20130704_Caliguablackblack_opt.jpg

dlhill132, WDF, Eng and 7 others like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here is mine. I grossly overpaid and regret the purchase. I should have waited for a better example for the same money. The type is certainly plentiful. It was purchased at a coin show and that afternoon I made several very bad decisions which I will blame on hunger :D.

[​IMG]

dlhill132, WDF, Eng and 8 others like this.
  17. John Anthony

It's a lovely coin, though. Just don't think about the price. We all have coins we overpaid for, and others we got at a bargain, so it all works out. :)

Mikey Zee, Ancientnoob and TIF like this.
  18. Bing

Yeah. Yeah. That's it. Hunger. It will do it to you every time.

Mikey Zee, Ancientnoob and TIF like this.
  19. Ancientnoob

That's the thing with shows, you don't have time to spend days researching a type. You have too go in having an idea of what you want. A deal at a coin show is a test of your memory and experience.

Okidoki likes this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Exactly! Usually I sit at the computer and search for prior sales and current offerings. At the show, the number of coins was overwhelming and I didn't just stick with a pre-set "buy" list. I didn't know the value of these off the top of my head and the venue's internet/cell was spotty.

That was the main downside of the coin show-- not having the luxury of quick research.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  21. Bing

Well, if it's a test of MY memory, I fail before I even go. What were we talking about?

WDF, Mikey Zee, Ancientnoob and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted