Is this anything. I see something but...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim C (Mich), Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jim C (Mich)

Jim C (Mich) Senior Member

...can't tell for sure. I know the usual 1942/1 the 1 is to the front of the 2. I see something under the middle of the number 2, not the usual spot. What ya folks think? Image2.jpg

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Previous post in error. To see what the 42/1 dimes really look like go to PCGS coin facts.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No cigar..........

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

On the Denver issue, the base of the 4 has very obvious doubling and is an easy diagnostic. This one looks like a hit to the one on a philly

6. Jim C (Mich)

So what I see under the two is just a blob of material or something?

7. Jim C (Mich)

Yep, there is no "D" mint mark on this one.

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My suggestion is to always prove that your coin is not the rare variety. If you cannot prove it is not, then it probably is so. For your coin, you are missing a lot of the diagnostics, so it is easy to prove that it is not the 1942/1.

Doing it the other way around, trying to prove your coin is the variety, can easily lead you to seeing what you want to see, not what is actually there to see.

0314E5F9-DBF5-4CC0-8C61-FB0BD5789D8A.jpeg

Spark1951 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I do not have my glasses on, so I did not read your post correctly the first time. The blob looks like another material that is not silver. It is raised? If so, see if it comes off with acetone or a toothpick. If not, then it is probably a weird anomaly in the patina.

10. Jim C (Mich)

Thanks for the replies. There is something there but like you guys point out, don't look anything like the other examples.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem with that method is it allows you to prove what it's not, it tells you nothing about what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted