Is this ancient, hobo, fake... ??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Phil409, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Phil409

Phil409 New Member

As the title says - I'm trying to discern the nature, origin, and authenticity of this coin I was given. I've been directed here from the Introductions thread. I've done a fair amount of research and it obviously resembles something of old Mediterranean origin, but I am leaning towards it being some kind of knockoff or hobo/ hobby coin. IMG_8308.PNG IMG_8311.PNG

Thanks in advance!

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

It looks like a crude handmade job IMO. Only the person who made it would know what it means.

Phil409 likes this.
  4. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

What he said.

Tall Paul and Phil409 like this.
  5. Phil409

Phil409 New Member

It is definitely very ugly. I could only find a closeness to what looks like a "bull" on the reverse; Turns out what I thought looked "close" (read: not even close) to it was the Kymes Cup on the reverse of other coins from that era. It does not resemble the jug/ cup, though; it resembles some kind of funky livestock. The poor obverse looks like an alien being with a crown on its head... strange, indeed.

I think for now I'm going to continue in my assumption that it's some kind of fake or as you said homemade/ handmade something or other... I'll throw it on my buddy's Sigma to see if it reads silver or what. It's an odd weight in hand.

Thanks for the input!

Pickin and Grinin and expat like this.
  6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

It looks like someone tried to recreate a cows skull
    upload_2023-12-6_18-31-5.jpeg

Phil409 likes this.
  7. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

The letters that are stamped into it appear to be from a metal hand punch. That means that this is most likely modern.

81cjgGveRXL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Phil409 likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Creator of the OP ....whatever it may be called, was close to a bucranium
    TROAS ASSOS.jpg
    TROAS, ASSOS
    AE10
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Athena left
    REVERSE: AΣ-ΣI, Bucranium
    Struck at Assos 400-300 BC
    1.18 g, 10.2 mm
    SNG Cop 241; BMC 8
    King Philip II 4.jpg
    PHILIP II
    AE17
    OBVERSE: Apollo facing right with tania binding hair
    REVERSE: Youth naked on horseback - Filippos (in Greek) above, symbol -bucranium (skull of an ox) - underneath.
    Struck at Macedonia 359-336 BC
    6g, 17mm
    SNG ANS #850-851; Le Rider #24; Sear 6698v; Bellinger 20

Pickin and Grinin, Phil409 and expat like this.
  9. Phil409

Phil409 New Member

That looks like the closest actual coin to what they were attempting to imitate, or recreate... certainly not a good copy but interesting nonetheless. Thanks to you and all for the feedback! Another interesting one for the top drawer!

10. Phil409

Phil409 New Member

I thought this as well, so I got a bit closer, and realized the letters are actually raised/ extruded (relieved?)... they still appear odd on this particular piece, but I'm uploading some better photos here since my curiosity is piqued...

Attached Files:

Coins4Eli likes this.
  11. Phil409

Phil409 New Member

Replying to my original post with better photos... I don't see a way to edit it.

Attached Files:

12. Coins4Eli

Huh. That means that it would have had to have been struck with dies. Drop the coin on a hard surface, do you hear a high ping or more of a low thud?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Phil409

Phil409 New Member

No ping whatsoever. Thud, and bounces pretty high off my desk from a dead drop. Doesn't show silver as low as I can get it on the Sigma.

Pickin and Grinin and Coins4Eli like this.
  14. Coins4Eli

My best guess is that the coin is just a novelty that someone made in their garage. A determined person can fairly easily take two cylinders of steel and crudely carve a design into it. Then those dies were used to strike the coin.

Phil409 likes this.
  15. Phil409

Phil409 New Member

That certainly seems to be a possibility. It's such an awful looking character and the horned creature is very crude. What a horrendous thing! :yuck:

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  16. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I think I saw that on a special episode of "Ancient Aliens".

Phil409 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I think that I am in on the hobo theory. If it is, it's fairly well done.
    Much better pics Phil.

Phil409 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted