Is this an MS64 to you with an eye?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jmccarty, Jul 2, 2015.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I will put it this way. Of the top 4 NGC complete wheat cent set, only one has a red DDO, 2 have a brown and one has none.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jmccarty

jmccarty Active Member

@rim's cents, So it may be worth buying if it is the coin of the month for me. Price aside, it would fill a gap nearly 40 years running.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

@jmccarty I would not pretend to tell you what you want or especially what you can afford. However, they are rare (only about 300 are certified by NGC and PCGS) and in demand. A 64 red can go for as much as $20,000. I also found one as little as $5,300, but I doubt it would still qualify as red.

BTW, if you use @ with RLM, it works better.

5. jmccarty

jmccarty Active Member

@rlm's cents I need the new bionic eye that Canadian eye doctor inventor has in the works. Even with bifocals, I and l and 1 look too close to me.

I expect if purchased graded as an RB, within some amount of time, even in the PCGS holder, it will become a B?

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Really nice coin. Looks like a 64 to me.

7. jmccarty

jmccarty Active Member

If I do acquire this one, it will go in a safe deposit box until 2035 at least.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You are far from the only and undoubtedly not nearly the last.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I seem to be using the Ctrl key and the scroll wheel more and more.

10. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Good looking piece,easy MS 64....

11. Allan Dinegar

Allan Dinegar Dreamedreamer

I'm sorry to say that it I really think it's not an MS-64. I would compare it to the PCGS photo grade pictures they offer for free on their site. They have most American coins in most grades. It should help! Good luck!

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The one PCGS pictures has spots, nicks and some luster breaks. Aside from the fact the PCGS example is red, what makes it look better?

13. jmccarty

jmccarty Active Member

Many counterfeits exist. It is advised
    that buyers look for certified examples.
    Furthermore, beware of cleaned and
    whizzed examples. "Check for two faint
    die scratches leading downward from
    the left bar of the T in Cent to establish
    authenticity
    " -The CherryPickers Guide
    Fourth Edition Vol. 1 pg. 122. The
    reverse is also slightly rotated
    counterclockwise about 10 deg.

Not easy to see the scratches, but the reverse is counterclockwise! This coin is graded also by PCGS, so no need to look further for authenticity. My untrained eye just sees it as not as "nice" as other MS64 of same era.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

You can't easily compare a 55 doubled die with other MS64 coins of the 1950s. The nature of the strong doubling combined with the aging obverse hub gives a bust that's rather blurry compared to others. The OP's coin looks like a nice 64RB. There are no black spots on the coin, and I suspect that the luster is quite pleasing hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted