Is this an ink blotch?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dynoking, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

It looks like an ink blotch starting at the s in reserve, through the u in united then into the oval frame surrounding president Grant. Four blotches also appear between 3 and 4 o'clock in the oval frame. One small then three smaller ink spots appear in the field south of the left (facing) ear running in a slight downward diagonal toward the beard. The color appears to be the same as used in the border and in the words The United States of America. Are these printing errors? Do they add value over face? The ink in the lower right margin looks like a different shade and I assume to be post print damage. Please forgive my limited knowledge of currency. Sharing of knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0452.JPG

DSC_0454.JPG

DSC_0456.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

more than likely its from a tellers stamp, bundles of notes are wrapped with a paper band and stamped by bank tellers, they dont always hit the center of the bands...

Dynoking likes this.
  4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

My thoughts too. More than likely the ink bled through the band. If you connect the dots they show to be a right angle, exactly as a stamp would look.

Dynoking likes this.
  5. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Thanks to the two of you. Hommer, your diagnostics are on point and educational!

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It looks interesting to me. I like it!
    I will give you $20.00 for it ;)

Dynoking likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here is a great example I found this morning
    20180114_105047.jpg

Dynoking likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted