Is this an Ikr Proof? And how good is ICG?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by splintercellsz, Mar 15, 2012.

1. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

I was given these, and have some questions about both. Also, sorry for bad pics.

1. Is this a Proof, or no? Also, what would you grade it as (the hair is not on the coin, it is from my scanner).
    001.jpg 002.jpg

2. How did ICG do on this grade? I have heard that they can over grade, and am curious to see if that go this one right. I like their 'slab' though, built like a mini tank.

001.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG

Thanks,

Justin

(Also, I just noticed I misspelled IKE in the title. My bad...)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

That's a business strike Ike, D mint.

ICG is okay.

In so far as they grade goes, it's only a 1 ounce bullion, still only worth it's weight in silver.

4. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Ike proofs will be "S" mint, and I believe that ebay recognizes ICG as a TPG, so that should mean that there ok

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your Ike appears to be an Impaired Proof which means that it has circulated some.

It is impossible to tell from any photo whether or not a coin is a 70. You must examine it in hand and look for even the tiniest nick or ding. It doesn't need to be any larger than a pinprick to bring it down to a 69.

Chris

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They didn't make proofs in Denver that year Chris........:)

001.jpg

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Sorry, I'm blind!

8. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

The first 7 in 1776 looks a little interesting...
    As does the "I" in Liberty

9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Circulation wear and hits.

10. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

ICG is a little erratic but older coins are often properly graded. I've crossed a lot to PCGS.

They are a little optimistic with moderns.
    Lance.

11. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

BTW they also made MS silver Ike's in San Francisco for many of the years that have S mint marks so it not a given that even on coins with a S mint mark that they are proof. But as mentioned in this case a D mint mark is never going to be a proof.

12. HCSC

HCSC Numismatist

Not a proof, definately a business strike. My opinion on ICG is that they tend to overgrade. I prefer PCGS.

Draft saved Draft deleted