Is this an error penny?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kristen Smith, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Kristen Smith

Kristen Smith New Member

Hi, I am new to this site, and this is my first post. I have a 1996 D Lincoln penny that has a perfect silver ring/circle around it. I haven't seen one like it before. Just wondering if anyone else has, and if it is an error coin? Thanks
    15696415012081934917187.jpg 1569641685427918291871.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Maybe a coin that was in the dryer ? Guessing. wait for more opinions....

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nope. Damaged, not an error.

As @spirityoda suggested, that has the look of a dryer coin.

The "silver ring" is from where the damaged rims exposed the inner zinc core of the cent. All Lincoln cents since 1982 are in fact mostly zinc, with only a thin outer layer of copper. Zinc has that silvery color.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Skippy04

Skippy04 New Member

[​IMG] 1803 Large Cent missing the word Cent on back. Is this an error?

6. Skippy04

Skippy04 New Member

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hey Skippy... Welcome to the forum. I see where you have tried to get somebody’s attention in another thread as well. You mentioned you didn’t have the ability to post..... I bet you are stuck in the same no-mans land I was stuck in my first week here. The solution is a simple one..... When you join, the forum sends you a confirmation email. Many email protection programs will send that email to your junk or spam folder because it came from a website. Check your junk email folders, find the confirmation email and respond to that and you should then have full posting abilities. Good luck!

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That coin is damaged and the zinc is showing. I can't tell from the photos but the copper coating may have been filed or sanded. Damage is damage.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted