Is this an error? March of Dimes set

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jwitten, Jul 28, 2015.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

An example would be the field mark below the buffalo on authentic 1937d 3 legged coins.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    jwitten likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

They look like die groves to me
    Or the " Die Grooves " that he took images of ...

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Since the "markers" on these dimes are not useful in authenticating a rare coin, I'd just call them an error. If however, these low mintage dimes were later counterfeited, these "markers" would be useful in identifying some of the authentic dimes. I'd bet, if these dimes appreciate significantly, they'll be counterfeited.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Except it is only on 5 of the 12 I have. So would not be a good way to show genuine. I would call it an error too... I just don't know what kind, or if it makes it more valuable.

6. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Only on 5 of yours, but since it's die issues, the error is on a bunch of them. Yeah, not sure about how the errors affect the value.

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Much better photo's.

It appears as if the dippling is actually in the grooves. I think you already said that but this shows more clearly what "with the Proof missing" meant.

jwitten likes this.
  8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I have always been under the impression that the dippling (or frosting if you prefer) was added to the die by CNC Machinery following a specific "pattern".

That "pattern" or "stencil type pattern" would not include lasering damaged portions of the die.

I think the OP might be on to something which will require some expert eye's to examine.

Mike Diamond comes to mind.

jwitten likes this.
  9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I'm glad my set doesn't look like that. Looks like a return item. I bet it took the mint the same amount of time to make these dimes as it took for the sets to sell out. Seriously the pressman could have checked the die several times and the mint still would have come in under budget.

10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Many of these MOD sets have poor quality control issues and small minting errors similar to the coins posted from what I've seen of them.

11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I do not mind errors like these. Makes the coins unique. I do not like scratches, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted