Is this an error? March of Dimes set

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jwitten, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I just looked through about 12 sets, and about 4 of the reverse proof dimes had some sort of error in about the same location. Is this considered an error? Looks like a line through some of the letters with the proof missing. Here are 2 different coins, with the line in slightly different areas.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The error was in buying it!

:)

seriously, it looks like a hit

4. jwitten

So 4 coins having the same hit in the same area? It is hard for me to get a great close up, but almost every one looks the same.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am with Frank. You might have a stronger case if they were die linked, every incident on the same letter in the same place. As it is, I would say they are MS68 coins.

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Let me give you a hand, everyone should know about " Single Squeeze Hubbing " by now . First look for notching, and thickness, get a better image of the " O " in " Of " it look pretty thick to me . Match it up with other ones you have, then go from there ...

rzage likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Yep.

Possibly mishandling with the packaging equipment and according to you they are not in the same area but in "similar locations".

8. Rick Stachowski

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I don't think the OP is talking about doubling - he's referring to the "hits" on the letters. I have to agree, since the "hits" are not in the exact same place on different coins, they appear to be PMD or planchet flaws, not a die issue, unless different dies contained different flaws.

10. jwitten

5 coins total. Two almost look identical in the first 2 positions, then one in the last position. It looks like the part missing the proof is the same laser treated frost that the field of the coin has.
    Coin #1-
    jw1.jpg
    coin#2-
    jw2.jpg
    coin#3-
    jw3.jpg
    coin #4-
    jw4.jpg
    coin #5-
    [​IMG]

11. statequarterguy

Well, almost only counts in horseshoes & grenades. But, that lazar frosting in the depressed areas would indicate die issues (more than one die). In other words, lousy craftsmanship from the mint.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Error of the century!!!!

13. jwitten

The laser frosting in the devices is what confuses me too. I don't see how it can be post mint if it is frosted there

19Lyds likes this.
  14. statequarterguy

True.

15. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Good points. I hadn't noticed the frosting effect in the areas of the "hit". Would it be damage to the die before it was frosted?

16. Rick Stachowski

I understand that, but thoses could be " Markers " ....

17. Rick Stachowski

Could be " Markers " ...

18. statequarterguy

True, they could be markers, but for what? Die markers are useful for identifying an error coin, like a doubled die - I don't see any doubling.

19. jwitten

What are markers?

20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree , it would have to be shiny from a hit .

21. statequarterguy

An anomaly with the die that helps identify a desirable coin, like a double die or very rare piece.

jwitten and Rick Stachowski like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted