is this an error?fake?gtg?1835 half cent help

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shiny coins for life, Mar 30, 2015.

1. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

This 1835 looks off to me. Is it real? If so what grade is it? Is that MD or DD? and what is going on with the L in liberty? I have a lot more questions than answers on this coin. All help will be appreciated.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm by no means an expert on these but those denticles look very suspicious.

KurtS likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I know little to nothing about these, but IMO, a really sloppy copy.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well here's what a real one looks like and with a mintage of 398,000 reported , I have my doupts. 1835 15 o.jpg 1835 15 r.jpg

6. Looks like a copy to me...

7. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Very different looking from Paddy's example

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

It looks like a Cohen-2 variety. Look at http://www.goldbergcoins.com/content/?page_id=3145 to see what a truly fine (not F-12) example should look like. My guess is that it may be real (based on the doubling on HALF CENT), but I couldn't be sure without seeing it in hand.
    If you want an expert opinion and will be in the Dallas area April 30 – May 3, go to the EAC Convention http://eacs.org/2015Brochure.pdf

10. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

The Goldberg link didn't work properly. Go there and look for Auction 77 (January 26, 2014) - The Missouri Cabinet and look at Lot 142.

11. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Hmmm... there's something very "modern" looking about the surfaces, like a recent copy--just my unqualified opinion.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Here are the images of the C-2 Cringely was trying to link. The OP does appear to be a C-2 but cleaned. Note the matching "crumbling" around HALF CENT. And the same odd triangular shaped denticals over ITE on the reverse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Images from the Goldberg sale of the Missouri Cabinet collection Sale 77 Jan 26,2014 Lot 141

13. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

If a copy, it is quite good. Take a look at the die doubling on HALF CENT and compare it to the Missouri Cabinet EAC MS-64+ example (Goldberg Auction 77, Lot 142.
    I do agree about the surfaces looking quite (too?) good. Perhaps a cleaning. Can't tell until I see much better pictures or in person.

14. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

That's a beautiful coin--the OPs certainly looks based on that die pair, but don't the details look a bit mushy for such a grade? --just wondering here.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

IDK...there's something that tells me "Run Forest Run....
    Unless it was slabed I personally would not touch it.

KurtS likes this.
  16. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

it shares a die crack on the reverse with coin that condor posted from C to A and beyond then has at least 2 other ones that i can see that are not on condors posted pic... Im no expert. just my observations

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The one I posted earlier was a proof example and a very early die stage. Here is a mid to late stage that has the cracks mentioned.

[​IMG]
    Image from the Missouri collection lot 142.

UnCommonCents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted