Is this an error coin or simply a stain?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Haley♡, May 28, 2021.

?

Is it an error or a stain?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2021.
  1. Error

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stain

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

Hi everyone,
    My first post on here. Which i have a million questions, so bare with me, yall!

So I've been collecting coins for some time now. But I still dont know a whole lot, especially about error coins. I realize the probability of this being a stain of some sort rather than an error is high. But i have to ask.. does anyone know what this could be. I have it compared to a more normal quarter .. Its a new 2021 quarter

Attached Files:

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Welcome to CT! Looks like some toning to me...not an error. Nice boots by the way. TC

Haley♡ likes this.
  4. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Yep, just normal toning.

Haley♡ likes this.
  5. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Yup a bit of toning and somehow seems that coin has already had a bit of a rough life...I agree, cool Robin Hood like boots :smuggrin:

Haley♡ likes this.
  6. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

just a toned coin nothing special

Haley♡ likes this.
  7. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

Thanks yall! I love frindge (15$at ross) and i figured as much but i had to ask. I have a bunch more coins i have questions about. If anyone is willing to help a girl out. And im not sure how this works, do i just post all my questions? Like this one. It was given to me by a customer of mine. Some say it has to be fake, some say it was run through the train tracks, which ive done that a lot in my life and i know it was not lol but would love some feedback of what yall think?

Attached Files:

8. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

That’s a very nice off center strike. Welcome to CT!

9. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

Thank you!
    So it is real? I dont want to sound dumb but how do you know.. I want to learn about all this, But i want to learn right, ya know. I mean i try to google everything but i get a lot of different answers from different people and a lot of it seems based on opinion and not factual.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Rule number one about coins... NEVER touch the middle of the coin, only hold it by the edges. Holding it improperly could leave fingerprints and decrease the value. This coin isn't a super valuable coin, so it doesn't matter as much, but just thought you should know. Put it on a flat surface to take picture. No need to hold it.

Nice coin though, its an off-center strike. You can post as many threads as you want if you have multiple questions. Welcome to cointalk.

11. Danomite

From your pictures I don’t see anything that would make me think it’s fake.

12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Even though they are cool coins, off center strikes are fairly common and not overly valuable. So it wouldn't make much sense for a counterfeiter to create an error coin that he couldn't profit handsomely from.

13. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

Thank you for that! Duly noted! I know i do have some valuable coins and i probably have ruined them now cause im constantly touching them ‍♀️
    But for the most part, im not to worried about the price value as i dont ever plan on getting rid of any my coins probably just pass them down to my son. Ive been collecting for years. Just cause i like the hunt for them. Lol but any other pointers of what to do and not to do, would be appreciated!

14. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

Well That makes a lot of sense. Thank you ♡

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Yes, they are fairly common. However, in 70 plus years of collecting I have only 2 of them.
    @Haley♡ welcome to CT.

16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

LOL.... Fifty years collecting and I have one! Maybe I'll catch up to ya!

17. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Yes real and even better when you can still see the date on a coin that's so off center! Nice one!
    I agree...make it a habit to only hold them by the edges.
    When you have questions with different topics they might fit better in different forum categories but in general when you post or add on to this thread it will be spotted as a new post...

Haley♡ and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

My little sister worked at mail processing plant where they put coins in advertisements. She got these for me in 1976. You will have to work hard Randy since I have twice as many as you.

Haley♡ and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  19. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

So i have another couple questions.. should i make a new post or just continue on this one?

20. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

I just read your reply! I will make a new post! Thank you

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  21. Danomite

Draft saved Draft deleted