Is this an error? 1969 d 1 cent with no L in LIBERTY

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Wheels, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Wheels

Wheels Active Member

What do you think about this coin? IMG_1045 2.jpg IMG_1056 2.jpg IMG_1036.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

4. Wheels

Wheels Active Member

Right? It looks like the L never got actually printed is like a shadow, that one you posted too

5. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I think its a filled die grease or debris filled the l on the die.

6. Wheels

Wheels Active Member

Thanks, I am happy I found "one" minting error after going thru hundreds of coin, lol

7. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

No just another weak L. There are literally BILLIONS of these out there in collections and circulation.
    I specialize in Lincoln cents and must have hundreds myself. Not every missing feature on a coin is a strike thru! Here is my latest bag of 5000 cents to search I’m SURE I’ll find at least one VERY weak L & I cent in there. But the chances I’ll find a strike thru is VERY Low. Reed & Sparkles the Unicorn
    image.jpg

SmokinJoe likes this.
  8. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Cool!! I've never heard of deteriorated die missing letters.

9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

It's well circulated and could even have been worn down in the process that is used to crimp rolls when they wrap them.

10. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Some other mint errors that have no premium include:

strike errors, less than full v.d.b, machine doubling, polished die anomalies and hairline die cracks.

There are lots more, and it stretches across all denominations. It is the fact the errors are so common that precludes a premium. But some folks do collect these thinking they are valuable when they aren't.

One way to look at it would be "The Art of the die versus the strike of the machine". Clipped planchets are an exception as, in my view, they are outside the realm of die and strike.

The aforementioned errors listed above may be "neato mosquito" to find and show your friends, but only valuable to the guy who likes them.

In a future post, I will explore "notched" letters and numerals, as well as the hairline die cracks on the recent 2017 pennies.

Spark

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Nyatii likes this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You need to go thru millions of coins.

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

13. Bsatt28

Bsatt28 New Member

I also have a 1971 D penny with NO L and very light I....I thought I had something good....damn haha

14. EUGENE HERNANDEZ

EUGENE HERNANDEZ New Member

15. timo

timo New Member

i have a 69s i not struck in liberty all other letters are bold and crisp absolutly exstreamly rare and probably more valuable than the more common dd varity they try and sell ya its all about who owns it or how cheap they can steal it lol no doubt way rarer and should be reconized by the coin world sooner or later - Edited - .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2023
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This is an old thread. You need to start a new thread and post full size photos of both sides. That will get you better answers. Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted