Is this an error? 1967 quarters an error on TRUST? TRUSTD? Found this in my dads coin collection

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Crystal178, Jan 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Crystal178

Crystal178 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @Crystal178 !

Well, it can't be a "Dropped Element" because the font doesn't match any of those on the coin. It also doesn't look like a "Strikethrough", retained or otherwise. I can only conclude that it is just a strange mark in the discoloration that was made after it left the Mint. ~ Chris

LaCointessa and thomas mozzillo like this.
  4. It looks like the mint mark was placed on the wrong side.

5. Bonnie B Viveiros

Bonnie B Viveiros Active Member

What's up with the eagles beak

6. cpm9ball

This coin was produced by the Philadelphia Mint since there is no mintmark on it. The Denver Mint did not produce any quarters in 1967.

FYI - Until 1990, the mintmarks were hand-punched into the working dies.

Holly, if you haven't already done so, I'd like to suggest that you buy a current copy of the Red Book published by Whitman Books. Though I don't recommend using the pricing data, the book does contain a wealth of information about every coin that has been used or produced in the US since colonial times. It's published annually and is available online. ~ Chris
    WHITMAN RED BOOK, 2019.jpg

7. cpm9ball

Circulation damage! ~ Chris

HollyRorieNetwork likes this.

8. Learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing!

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Denver made 632,767,848 quarters in 1967, Philadelphia made 873,524,000, and San Francisco made 17,740,000 for circulation. But in 1965, 66, and 67 none of the mints used mintmarks on their coins.

10. cpm9ball

Granted, my copy of the Red Book is from 2013, but it doesn't list 1967 quarter mintages for Denver or San Francisco. Why is that? ~ Chris

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The redbook just lumps the mintages for the three mints together because the coins from each mint can't be told apart. The breakdown by mint can be found in the Coin World Almanac, and the annual mint report.

Mark1971 likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks like a stain but it could be damage. For this year no mintmarks were used do it all common and it's worth twenty five cents.

Welcome to CT.

13. cpm9ball

Good to know. Thanks! ~ Chris

14. cpm9ball

Hi again, Holly! As Conder pointed out (above), the Red Book does not contain all of the best information. So, it seems that we both have learned something new.
    ~ Chris

15. Crystal178

Crystal178 New Member

Thank you. I really thought I found something in my dads collection. I am sure I will have many more questions as I go through all of his coins. It's overwhelming.

Draft saved Draft deleted