Is this an almost? Or almost an almost?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ewomack, Mar 21, 2020.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I'm new to serial number fishing, but I found the top 1981 $1 below in a pile and it looks like it could be an almost. But maybe it's only almost an almost? Or does it not even make it to almost almost? It's in perfectly crisp shape, so I decided to look it up.

I also threw in a $2 star note just because. I looked it up too. This is the first time that I've ever looked up any serial numbers.

IMG_8956.JPG

I was surprised that the $1 came up as "very cool," so perhaps it's more than an "almost?"

FancySerial.png

The $2 star fared much worse in the Star Note lookup, but it did manage a "cool" on fancy serial numbers.

StarNote.png

2Cool.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

If the B was an 8 on the Dollar bill it would be worth something. (Just kidding).
    In that condition I doubt the $2 bill has much value. I don't collect paper money so my opinion doesn't mean much.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

it would be nice with another 25 :)

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The 1981 $1 is interesting at best but the 1976 $2 Minneapolis replacement note is the Key note for the series and has value even in its current condition.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

For someone who is new to all of this, how does one determine the Key status of the $2 note? Since the star note lookup told me that the note is "less rare" I'm confused.

Also, I'm not incredibly concerned with value. I know that the vast majority of modern notes have little to no value beyond face. I really just want to learn.

alurid likes this.
  8. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

thomas mozzillo and alurid like this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I also would like to know and be able to find this kind of information.

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Just like in coin collecting, experience and some well worn guides aid in evaluating paper money. Knowing how many were printed is one aspect along with watching auction results and prices realized. Some guides have accumulated information over decades which can help get you in the ballpark and recognize common and scarcer series and blocks.

I recommend the use of several sources, both printed and online along with patience and research.

alurid likes this.
  11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

As Steve said, that $2 is the winner, bet it's $30-$40 easy in that condition...

Draft saved Draft deleted