Is this an 1881 Seated Lib 10c?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by hotwheelsearl, May 4, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I really can't tell. The top of the last digit looks awful like the "1" that was used... What do you think?

GEDC0144.JPG GEDC0145.JPG GEDC0146.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

looks more like 1891

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    df oieddno edinssd likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The shape perfectly matches that of a 9, and is clearly different from the 8. Even on a coin in this condition I do believe it safe to say that the chances of it being an 1881 are, at best, slim to none.

A heavily circulated 1891.

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

BUMMER! Oh well. I'm always hoping to find a gem in the crap pile. I found a 1912-(?) V nickel once. I bought a 25x loupe and broke my eyes trying to convince myself it was a 1912-S. HINT: it wasn't...

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Just compare the two top loops. The inside of a 9 is rather larger than an 8, and the top radius of an 8 is much wider.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

1891, not doubts here. :)

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

9. TypeCoin971793

Just so you know, the more you try to convince yourself that what you are looking at is what you want it to be, the more you will see what you want to see. The best way to go about it is objectively, trying to prove it is not what you want it to be. If you can't prove it is not the real deal, then you probably have it.

For example, with your 1912 nickel, the odds were that it was a D. Instead of trying to see the S, try to see the diagnostics of the D. If you see the diagnostics of a D, then it is a D. If not, it is an S.

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Sounds like your on your way to be an engineer. Seriously I do agree with what you're saying.

For example, with your 1912 nickel, the odds were that it was a D. Instead of trying to see the S, try to see the diagnostics of the D. If you see the diagnostics of a D, then it is a D. If not, it is an S.[/QUOTE]

11. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Many already beat me to it, but I agree it looks more like an 1891.

12. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

13. TypeCoin971793

I am actually studying aerosoace engineering at Georgia Tech right now. ;)

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Really I'm a structure mechanic. Work on Gulfstream 650.
    Good luck to you, it's good business & $$

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

Sweet! I thought your profile pic looked like a Gulfstream. That is actually my dream job.

16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

It's not bad. The pic is the 650. Get your engineering degree you'll make the money.

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

The pic is the 650. It's not to bad work. Get your engineering degree you'll make the $$

18. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I can determine the date of a Seated Dime or Half Dime even if only part of the date is showing. The secret is that Seated dates come in all shapes and sizes.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  19. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

So dont know how replied twice & words slightly changed. Constantly switching devices, my bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted