Is this actually "damage?"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SuperDave, Jan 19, 2017.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree about the stars. BUT - the entire bust, and most of the reverse design elements, in other words the highest design elements on both sides of the coin, and the rim on both sides which is the highest point on any coin, are covered with the pattern.

So that kind of negates your argument.

My point in posting the pictures of the textile toning was to indicate that the "pattern" of the textile toning, and the "pattern" of the raised bumps on the coin in question - are the same. In other words, the same kind of cloth, (the canvas bags), that caused the textile toning pattern on the Morgans, was used to create the raised pattern on the half dime.

Now given that the technology of textile weaving changed greatly in the 75 years after the half dime was produced, that pattern in canvas didn't even exist in 1805 ! So it could not have happened when the coin was struck.

That's the kind of thought my question was supposed to stimulate.

RonSanderson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I hope Fred did get to see the coin. That's probably our best bet for more information. Interesting coin. Did anyone find a thread on this over on CU?

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Well if he didn't see it when it was submitted and thinks it's a genuine error you will probably see a sold banner on the listing before he even responds to insiders email ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    ldhair and Insider like this.
  5. GDJMSP

Let me ask a different kind of question here. Usually when the TPGs say something, about 98% of the people on this forum take it as gospel. But yet here we have a coin where the TPG said flat out that this coin has post strike damage. And yet people are trying to argue that it isn't, that it is a genuine mint error. I'm sorry guys, but I just don't get that.

Everything about this coin says it's just not possible for it to be a mint error ! So why do people want it to be one ?

micbraun likes this.
  6. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Besides the TPG, I'm sure David Lawrence Rare Coins (and the owner, if not DL) exhausted any possibility of an incorrect assessment before listing. The coin is for still for sale.... So, nobody is interested in putting any money on it- just fun theorizing possibilities imo. ;)

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

In the same vein as your previous questions, the interest in stimulating discussion from which more accurate theories can be developed....how do you damage this coin without damaging the stars and letters, to the point where the damage actually touches them without affecting them? This is normally a symptom of something affecting the fields of the die, not the coin those fields struck.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

That was the post that brought me over. It is an interesting discussion that doesn't exist if we just accept the first most logical conclusion.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Since this textile toning has been talked about, I was wondering?
    @SuperDave is there a possibility that when you change the tones on the pic, and see dimples, could this be in fact a previous corrosion. I was wondering if there was at one time heavy toning on this coin, and it was cleaned (dipped) then "doctored" to look this way? Therefore the "98"?

10. SuperDave

There's too much depth and regularity for me to think "corrosion." From a percentage standpoint, though, the smart player believes PCGS and accepts it as damage, especially when you consider that the problem manifests itself on some of the higher ares of the devices. It's just that, if damage, there are places it should be that it isn't.

Cascade and Paul M. like this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Actually, the only thing that can be considered corrosion on this coin is the black area which don't affect the "pattern."

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If we assume that it was submitted under the error service. In this case given the seller I think it would be reasonable to assume that they looked it over for an upgrade or error submission if they were not the original submitter.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Read this from a Coin World article:
    "In genuine struck-through-cloth errors, the weave weakens or vanishes over the high relief areas."
    Isn't that is apparent with the obverse? And the reverse as well?

Stevearino likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

No it's not apparent at all, in fact that very quote argues that it is indeed post strike damage. What's the highest point there is on any coin ? The rim. And on the rim, good portions of both obv and rev, is where the damage is the most prominent. So given that the quote is true, the previous sentence could not be true, if it were a genuine struck-through error.

Then you have the fact that cloth like that, that could create that pattern, did not exist in 1805.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. SuperDave

No, and that's the kicker. It's quite clear thru the hair and lower bust, and keep in mind that lower bust is high enough to have screwed up the corresponding part of the reverse strike on almost every single example of this issue.

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I will be interested in the explanation of the error by the grader.

I'll have to look up early 19th century cloth patterns.

17. GDJMSP

The rim IS a high relief area, it is the highest relief area there is, on all coins !

As for the other, you can look it up as easily as I did.

18. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Seems to me there are 2 possibilities here:
    1) Post-mint tooling to cover up damage, or to make it more interesting, or some other nefarious purpose.
    2) Something like Ron's theory, but I would modify it to be clashed through a canvas scrap rather than file. I did an animated overlay to see if the indentation areas line up, and they generally do. More precise alignment would probably allow the indentations to line up on both obverse and reverse. If this is the explanation, then the scrap covered about half the die area when the clash occurred. Here's the overlay:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    RonSanderson, BadThad and Cascade like this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Simple. That pesky 2%

20. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

OK, the correct overlay should be showing now.

This coin actually reminds me of another coin I studied, a Trade Dollar, that showed evidence of a double-strike. It had great promise, but every time I looked at it with a critical eye, things just did not quite line up. Features were not quite th right size, or in correct alignment. My theory on that one was "post mint modification for nefarious purposes". That coin even had a similar "look" to it. Perhaps there is/was a "coin surgeon" who created these pieces as fantasy coins to perplex the numismatic community?

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow. Those line up almost exactly. Just look at the pattern right behind the hair ribbon

Draft saved Draft deleted