Is This a VAM?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by yakpoo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I recently purchased a USB microscope and "The Comprehensive Catalogue and Encyclopedia of U.S. Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars" by Van Allen-Mallis. The first dollar I found to examine was an 1881-s Morgan dollar. This is what the first eight (8) in the date looks like. I didn't see anything in the book that looked like this. Could this be a re-punched date (RPD)?

Note: The coin is in an Air-Tite and I couldn't get it open. The pictures could be better...

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Might be a case of machine doubling, Yak. Morgans seem pretty notorious for that.

4. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

that is a spiked 8 and it is a vam (one of several anyway but it is a vam) could be VAM 1A but there are several VAMs with the spiked 8 on the 1881 s

http://www.vamworld.com/1881-S+VAMs

5. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

6. desertgem

desertgem MODERATOR Senior Errer Collecktor Moderator

Are you asking about the area under the "8", the upper inner area of the bottom loop, and a little in same areas in the top loop? Or something else? That seem to be difference in toning.

7. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

hehe u posted that as i was getting the link BU lol

8. BUncirculated

You know what they say about great minds :thumb: lol

9. desertgem

desertgem MODERATOR Senior Errer Collecktor Moderator

Guess so, but it sure doesn't seem as strong as illustrated. Maybe the focus through the case.

Jim

10. BUncirculated

I see what you're saying Jim, and you could be right. The only other spiked VAMS for the 81S is a VAM 1D which also has a die gouge in the O in DOLLAR, and the VAM 9, but that one has the spike in both 8s along with doubling, which I don't see on Yak's coin. There's also a VAM 38 that has the spiked 8 but the mint mark is a high S.

That was why I thought VAM 1A.

11. jatallman87

jatallman87 I am Jay

They say the same about not-so-great minds.:D

Draft saved Draft deleted