Is this a Sunnywood Toned Morgan?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Morgan Man, Apr 24, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Where you located? I might know someone in the area, or close enough for shipping to be reasonable. I lack a bespoke axial lighting rig at the moment, or I'd want a shot at it myself. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me (in less than 50 words) what a Sunnywood morgan is?

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

In a nutshell, Sunnywood put together the most spectacular collection of rainbow toned morgans ever assembled. People told him he was crazy for paying such huge premiums for them and he would never get the money back out of them. He then sold the entire collection for over a million dollars and cleaned up. It was a seminal event in the pantheon of toned morgan collecting

fish4uinmd and Paul M. like this.
  5. fish4uinmd

6. SuperDave

It should also be noted that Doug Kurz (the man who assembled what he called the Sunnywood Collection) explored the toning process in excruciating scientific depth, and defined the color progression of thin-film interference, giving us a valuable tool for evaluating the originality of toning on silver coins. Here's more than you'll ever want to know about toned silver:

http://www.jhonecash.com/research/sunnywood_classification.asp

Dave Waterstraat and fish4uinmd like this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Haha, I called Doug "Sunnywood". I used to do that a while ago before I read up on him. Thanks for the clarification dave and for elaborating on the technical aspect. Knew you would ;)

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm in the Bay Area. I know Todd of bluccphotos.com is local-ish in Sacramento. I'd love to find someone even more local, if anyone knows someone.

I hate to hijack the thread, but the coin I'm referring to is absolutely amazing. It's the best toning I've ever seen on an ASE anywhere online, or in person. The dealer who sold it to me said that on the scale of stuff he's seen (and he's one of us who's crazy for toners), it's a 9/10.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Send it to Todd for crying out loud. Did you know that your coin is insured under his insurance even when it's in the mail on the way TO him

Paul M. likes this.
  10. fish4uinmd

I had no idea that "toners" could be so intricate...thanks for sharing.

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm ready.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. SuperDave

His work is one of the reasons we can look at certain toners - not all of them - and instantly pronounce them artificial. Some artificial toning processes happen so quickly the "break" the expected color progressions in a fashion we know to be unnatural.

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Well my 2 cents on the op's coin in question.

It looks great!
    It is too expensive for me.
    It looks like less then many others that are that eye appealing but still too much for me. lol

14. girldly

girldly Girldly

Beautiful collection of coins...just lovely.

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Must not have been paying attention when this thread was started. A nice coin but all of Sunnywood's common date Morgans were premium gem and most were either MS67 or MS68. I never need an excuse to take a look at the Sunnywood collection but thanks for giving me one anyway.

baseball21 likes this.
  16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree that $1K is a very high price for that coin with toning which I don't personally find that attractive. The 1886 is one of the easiest dates to find with rainbow toning in MS64 & MS65. Personally I like my MS64 Battle Creek much more than that coin and I didn't pay anywhere near $1K for it. I call it the "pink eye" dollar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Pink eye!?... That's a "Demon Dollar" if I ever saw one :happy:

She *literally* looks like a demon coming out of the darkness of hell into our colorful world. Very nice

micbraun and Lehigh96 like this.
  18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Didn't Sunnywood have his Toned Collection Pedigreed?

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You see demon, I see a melting pot of natural colors.
    She sure is purtty!

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yup. And if she were mine I'd name her "Little Nicki"

21. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

While attractive toning will always command a premium, the exorbitantly high prices of rainbow toning on common date Morgans are a fad. Eventually the pendulum will swing and some people will have lost thousands in potential resale value.

Just putting my opinion out there. You don't have to believe in this.

Draft saved Draft deleted