Is this a Sunnywood Toned Morgan?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Morgan Man, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Morgan Man

Morgan Man Lurker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I don't know if it came from the Sunnywood Collection, but it certainly is beautiful, especially considering that it's toned on both sides.

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

No idea, but I'll be somewhat surprised if anyone plunks down $1000 for it.

5. Morgan Man

Morgan Man Lurker

6. Paul M.

That's moon money on the 81-S. For the 86, I could see it going to $750, but not much higher. If it were a 65 or a 66 with that toning, then $1000 doesn't sound so crazy, but on a 64?

rzage likes this.
  7. Morgan Man

Morgan Man Lurker

I've always been told grade wasn’t important with Monster Toners. I'm pretty sure LeHigh knows Sunnywoods so i'm curious on what he has to say.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Well now. This thread had me at Sunnywood. Who's to say if 86 is one. Who would crack a common date toner with a Sunnywood pedigree for what, a grade bump. The Sunnywood would more than cover any possible gain of a regrade.

As for the 81s. It's freaking spectacular. 3rd-4th stage with the majority being neon emerald green right in the focal obverse area. Plus it's a decent textile and it's in a pcgs ogh to boot. The hammer price does seem a touch high but hey 2 people had to have it and that's what toners are all about when selling them.. 2 people having to have it :)

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Cascade and Paul M. like this.
  10. Paul M.

I agree with you on all counts. That is a spectacular coin, and, hypothetically, if I were in the market for such a coin, I'd love to have it at 1/2 or 1/3 what it actually sold for. $4800 seems a bit insane to me.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Maybe but at the same time where are you going to find another one? The irreplaceable factor forces people to pay up if they want something or hope they get another shot at it in their life

Paul M. likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It has been a while since I viewed the Sunnywood Collection at the FUN Show, but the toning on this coin doesn't look like it would live up to the pedigree.

Chris

rzage and Paul M. like this.
  13. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

There's one born every minute...;)

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

They'd all look better if they were blast white.

dwhiz, jmferris, Kirkuleez and 2 others like this.
  15. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Paul M. likes this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sometimes two, apparently.

Sure is purdy, though, even to a non-toner-collector like me.

Paul M. and saltysam-1 like this.
  17. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Love them, toned Morgans' are spectacular.

18. robec

robec Junior Member

girldly likes this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

There are 2 words in numismatics that get my blood pumping like no other. The first is Simpson, the second is Sunnywood. Each by their own right make me drool and lust. Put them together and I almost pass out. I can't wait to make my first million so I can start to buy every Simpson-Sunnywood I can :)

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Paul M.

Spoiler alert: as soon as I can get around to finding someone who can do it justice, I'll be posting a coin (not a Morgan -- an ASE) that will put your jaw straight to the floor.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I already want it :)

Draft saved Draft deleted