Is this a slab error?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

I'm not super into Slabbed Morgan Dollars (mainly because their expensive) but while I was in Colorado over the summer who is super into toned ones. I text her every now and then to see if she got anything new. Recently she got this. I noticed that there was no S in front of the $1. Is this an error or do they only put it on certain years? image.jpg

Thanks for any help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Post the reverse of the coin so that we can check please. And who did you meet in Colorado?

4. Sullysullinburg

Note I do not own this coin.
    image.jpg

5. Aidan_()

It's a regular Philadelphia mint Morgan dollar.

6. Sullysullinburg

I girl named Roxanne. I was only their for the first week but I think she was their for both.
    I wasn't talking about the mint mark I was talking about this,
    image.jpg
    You see how in the top right corner is says S$1. From what I understand that means Silver Dollar. This slab doesn't have it.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking Philly coin with a lovely toned reverse.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not sure I'm correct but if I am the photo with the S$1is an older label and they not longer to that as is the case on your 1887. Ask Rick, he'll know for sure.

9. Aidan_()

Ah, yes Roxanne was there for both weeks, I met her on the second week.

10. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

I had a PCGS slabbed Morgan Dollar that was a true "error slab". The slab said 1896 Morgan Dollar but the coin in the slab was an 1884-O Morgan Dollar ... if these knuckleheads can't even get the date & mintmark right on a coin that's easily read by any 6 year old, then how am I suppose to "trust" their "expertise" on something as subjective as the CORRECT GRADE? After selling that goof I stopped putting any trust in any slabbing company's evaluation of a coin.

11. alxshark

alxshark New Member

You should call/email PCGS about this, maybe they can give you an answer

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's good - I want to share this picture with you from the PCGS website -
    Capture.JPG

13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Not an error slab or label. PCGS stopped putting the S in front of the $1 some time ago since the "S" indicated that it was "Silver". I have older slabs with it both ways.

Robert Paul likes this.
  14. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

I agree, not a labeling error. It is just how PCGS did the next generations of labels.

Draft saved Draft deleted