Is this a rotated die nickel?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, May 26, 2015.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

I bought this mint set for $5 not even looking for it but I was going through my cherrypickers guide and it listed it and I checked and I think I found it! Can anyone confirm?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

I'm thinking no, looks fine to me. The sides should be at 180 degrees from each other. The coin is a turned a little in the cellophane, and from you pictures, the dime is below the nickel in the obverse shot, and above the nickel in the reverse shot.

4. Sullysullinburg

I flipped it over so you could kinda see a contrast between the two sides. I'm waiting for a second opinion.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If I am looking at this right, no. "Rotated reverses" (rotated dies) are really quite simple with the coin in hand; flip it like a book, the rev should be upside down. Flip it bottom to top, and it should be upright. Even easier, simply compare to a (US) coin taken from your pocket, but if still having trouble, post a photo taken in a mirror that shows both sides in the SAME image.

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I don't see it but you also photographed the nickel tilted to start. If you had straightened the nickel out, you'd probably notice it's normal.

7. Sullysullinburg

I looked at it in a mirror and you guys are right it's not. I think I just thought I saw something and kinda went with it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Very good, Sully... instead of simply accepting answers provided, you did a little homework and hopefully learned something. 'Tis more than some would have done.

Draft saved Draft deleted