Is this a real coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nik23, May 30, 2020.

1. Nik23

Nik23 New Member

Hello everybody,

So I have this strange coin for some time, which has only one printed side. It is impossible for me to understand what it is written on it because of my poor knowledge in the field on ancient coins.
    When I got it, the back of the coin was covered with some glue or tape. Maybe the previous owner placed it somewhere like on a wall or on an object and needed a way to mount it.
    I am not sure what is the metal that was made of, but doesn't seem to be bronze. Maybe silver? It doesn't seem to have any rust on it, but only a slight yellowish patina. It is 21 mm in diameter and weights around 4 grams.

Do you think it is a real coin or maybe somebody tried to make a replica on an original one, but failed? I upload several pictures with the attempt to give you better perspective about the unclear letters on it.

Is it a good idea to try to clean it in some way? There is still some glue on the back side.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      505.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      454.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      939.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I'm no expert at all, but my hunch is no, the metal doesn't look right. Could it have been a decoration glued on something?

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It's not a coin. I can tell you that much. What it is though...Can't help you much there, sorry.

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Tourist piece of some kind. Not an authentic coin.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect this was a novelty/button set of gods - this being Hermes as inscribed at the right. EPMHS

Parthicus and DonnaML like this.
  7. Nik23

Nik23 New Member

Thank you all!

Draft saved Draft deleted