is this a real 1914 D Cent or Altered/Fake?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AlexN2coins2004, Jun 25, 2015.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I am not a fan of TPGs, but if you are "clueless on fakes and whatnot" buy one already certified as real.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Gee, almost unknown seller has three 1914d's that are die matches, but are in various levels of wear.

What is your opinion Alex?

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd say "entirely" unknown; he has no feedback as a seller. Three 1914-D cents, along with a bunch of junk-drawer items, does seem like an odd pattern for a new seller, don't you think?

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I think you guys are missing the problem. With a quick check, all 3 look real to me. But, his second coin looks like a the reverse of one coin and the obverse of another. All 3 were taken with different backgrounds and different clarities. It does not prove it, but I suspect he "borrowed" someone's pictures.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. Hope1275

Hope1275 Member

9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

The date looks funky. I would pass, especially since it's past $400 now.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The date and MM line up perfectly with #1.

upload_2015-6-25_15-37-3.jpeg

NSP likes this.
  11. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

That does appear to be a match. That said, I still think something looks weird with what's around the 9 and the 4.

Edit: but it could just be poor photography to blame.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I overlaid them. They match. I will repeat. I believe he has "borrowed" those pictures. I doubt he has any 1914-D's.

NSP likes this.
  13. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

" Found some coins in my attic that were left behind from previous owners. This is a 1914-d Lincoln wheat penny. "

Yeah, right ! Next week he will have six 3 legged Buffalo Nickels !

14. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Did I see some sort of VDB under the shoulder like when they put the initials back in 1918? I tried to enlarge the ebay site, It is questionable.

15. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

16. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

17. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

well I don't know...I mean the mintmark doesn't look totally right to me..maybe I'm wrong though...it looks like someone used a 1914-S that had doubling on the top of the date and then they flattened out the top of the S. looking at the picture I labeled with 2. look at the gap between the doubled D see that black spot? that's supposed to be the separation of the 2 D's but look how thin that 1st D's top would be? Makes me think they cut half of the top of an S away to flatten it out to look like a D. also compare on the 3. pic to the original pic of the 4 just to the right of the 4 and also the left of bottom part of the 4 as well. it looks like it might be doubling but also it could just be a them trying to make it look like doubling...like I said I could be completely wrong and this coin is totally 100% legit...just that I'm unsure.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted