Is this a rare Nickle?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Faithgirl1two3, May 26, 2018.

1. Faithgirl1two3

Faithgirl1two3 New Member

Hello I ave just recently gotten interested in searching for rare coins. As I was looking through some random change I saw this Nickle. Is it simply extremely worn down or is it rare? Any information would be great, thanks:)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Adam34falcon

Adam34falcon Active Member

PMD. (Just worn)

4. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. The nickel is very worn. It may have had some human help in creating it's condition given the unusual rim wear. It is a wartime nickel and has a silver content. So it has some intrinsic silver value, but it is a common coin.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

What you have is what's called a "low ball" and what we spell as "nickel". Low balls such as yours are sought out by collectors. I'd say that's one of the most worn silver nickels I've seen before and that the wear could be artificial but it's interesting regardless. You can read more about low balls here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-worlds-ugliest-ike.305726/.

6. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome To Cointalk
    Dave

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Silver value .93 cents.
    Looks like a dryer coin which would disqualify it from low ball status.
    But it could be super circulated low ball. I can read the date, what is the mint mark?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  8. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

9. Adam34falcon

It is SILVER.

10. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

I was referring to the spelling... and it is 56% copper, 35% silver, and 9% manganese.

11. Adam34falcon

Oh, sorry haha. I didn't even look at your name and just figured you were some troll (no offense, as you know we get a lot of them around here haha.)

Wheatmaster101 likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That's awesome! Not often does one see a war nickel in such shape, and I think it a rather neat find for someone new to the hobby. It's certainly not going to make you rich, nor is it "rare" (although not a common circulation find these days), but is worth many multiples of face and will hopefully help ignite a desire to learn more.

Welcome to the forum, Faith. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. BooksB4Coins

It's certainly not an S, and I see no remnants of the outer curve of a D, so it's probably safe to say it's a Philly.

Michael K likes this.
  14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Not a "nick-lay"???

15. Faithgirl1two3

Thanks for all your help guys. I’m kinda disappointed it’s not worth that much but it is definitely something cool that I will keep. And sorry, lol, I stink as spelling

16. Faithgirl1two3

I can’t even spell nickel right!

17. BooksB4Coins

If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

You've a good attitude. :)

C-B-D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted