Is this a Proof-Like 1893 Columbian Half Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by iPen, Mar 26, 2017.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

This coin isn't polished and the devices aren't as frosty as some of the known and slabbed examples out there, but I definitely see a very strong mirror. I don't think it's a proof strike, as the examples I've seen have some really strong features and a very heavy cameo. Though, I have no idea what the proof diagnostics are for 1893, as I can't find it anywhere (I only know of the 1892 proof diagnostics).

In person, I can see the mirroring much, much better. The first photo below was taken with indirect lighting. There are black streaks running diagonally across the bottom (not sure what those are - tarnish, toning, or carbon "spot" streaks?), so they're not scratches. There are some hits and other marks throughout, so this coin was probably mishandled in the last nearly 125 years.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Dipped maybe? it's hard to tell without seeing it in hand. Looking at the pics (with beer goggles, but only a few) the luster looks like maybe it's been over dipped. just my uninformed opinion.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think the coin has proof-like qualities, but the mirrors don't appear deep enough to warrant a PL designation. Keep in mind, I'm only judging from your pictures. The obverse appears stronger than the reverse.

This is exactly the type of coin that would get a Star for semi-prooflike surfaces, in my opinion.

Paul M. and ldhair like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Passing through your State, and hunkered down resting at the moment dear fellow. Goin' home . :) And I quite agree with the assessment. I've got a few of these that seem to appear proof like. Lovely to think think they might grade as such, but I don't kid myself. :)

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

My photos aren't that great and makes it very difficult to conclude or convince that it's PL... here are the seller's photos that drew me in.

upload_2017-3-26_19-31-56.png upload_2017-3-26_19-32-20.png
    upload_2017-3-26_19-36-10.png

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks close. If not quite PL, maybe get a star for trying from NGC. AU55, perhaps? It was probably dipped to attempt to get rid of the black inclusions seen on the obverse, especially at the bottom of the bust.

8. physics-fan3.14

I'll be honest, Pen, that second set of photos is far more convincing.

I'd have to see it in hand to be sure, of course, but if it reflects like the seller's photos then it may have a chance at the PL.

HawkeEye likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

could be, nice pick up

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto on both counts

11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I submitted the coin to NGC so we'll have to see what they say. I'm hoping for at least an AU-58 PL, but PL may be too far off. And yeah, getting at least a star designation would surely distinguish it from other examples of the same grade.

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The grades are up online and shipped.

Does anyone want to take another swing at the grade and if it's a star, PL, or no extra designation?

13. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Gonna guess just got AU58

14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

15. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

If anyone else wants to guess, just don't click the Spoiler button below before guessing!

MS-61 PL

talkcoin, Blissskr and longshot like this.
  16. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I have learned with Morgans that the camera often tells you things about reflectivity that you cannot see with the eye. The photo with the dark field is what you see with PL Morgans. But I also think it is a high AU and I believe only NGC certifies coins as PL below MS state.

17. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

damn i AM good

iPen, talkcoin, green18 and 1 other person like this.
  18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

What's funny is that I wrote right on the submission form that it's a "Proof-Like", just in case they don't bother doing the proof-like test. I can see it being a burden for them after grading say, hundreds of Morgans that day, so maybe only the most obvious proof-like fields get checked. If this was a borderline PL coin, then maybe they wouldn't have checked at all without my note, just as they don't check with the vast majority of business strike coins (imagine the backlog if it was a company policy to PL test all non-proof coins).

Though, they probably can tell at first glance since they do this all day. If they go through thousands of PL and DMPL Morgans, I'm sure it becomes easy as pie. But, I'll continue to add those notes just in case - no harm in that.

19. physics-fan3.14

I have seen PCGS AU PL Morgans.

PCGS only designates Morgans as PL, though, and would not have designated this Columbian as PL.

Congrats on the grade, Pen.

iPen likes this.
  20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Good for you that it came back with the grade that it did, but I see it as an AU-58 PL. I've seen PL designated on quite a few AU coins, but never anything lower.

21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Nice job!! I missed this thread until just now.

Draft saved Draft deleted