Is this a Persian coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael K, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Hi, I don't know what this is, a coin dealer (not an expert on Ancients) said it was an old Indian coin. A quick Google search, and I think it may be an old Persian coin.
    I am interested in knowing what country, how old and approx. value. It's silver even though one photo has a golden hue. Thanks.
    039.JPG

P.O..JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

No, this is Ottoman, sultan Selim (III).
    The denomination, and even if it is real or not, depends on weight and size.

Alegandron likes this.
  4. Michael K

Thank you for the reply and information.
    It is 3.4 grams and is almost exactly quarter sized but half as thin or less.

5. Michael K

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

o_O You're getting warm but keep looking :D. The linked coin isn't a design match and it is 10x heavier than yours.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. Michael K

Yes mine appears to be a 10 Para as the weight 3.4 grams is in the range of 2.40 to 3.55. I just meant that the markings were so similar that it was indeed what you described as Ottoman Empire Sultan Selim III 1789-1807.
    Value is tricky, I am thinking $15 at most.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

9. Michael K

The web photo or mine?
    In my photos, if I orient the gold hued one with the hole closer to 6 o'clock, it matches up very well (not exactly) and the white one with the bad light, seems to be oriented correctly with the hole at the top.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

11. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

It's the photo of the large silver piece which is upside-down, flip that over and use it to orient your photos (you might want to re-shoot the overlit side). If no one gives you what you consider to be an adequate ID/translation fairly soon, I can copy your photos and show them to some friends who are who are fluent in the cufic script and can read this sort of purely epigraphic coin.
    It might also be possible to match it via pattern recognition using the various centuries' Krause SCWC catalogs, too - if it's Turkish (seems likely) it shouldnt' be too hard to find.

Draft saved Draft deleted